Semi-Auto vs Revolver Price Difference?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Semi-Auto vs Revolver Price Difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Semi-Auto vs Revolver Price Difference?

Is it just me, or are the price of revolvers a smidge higher than SA pistols?

My mind is stuck on the notion that revolvers should be noticeable lower in price because there is a lot less to them as far as parts and mechanical function goes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Are you talking new or used?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #3

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by starving030 View Post

My mind is stuck on the notion that revolvers should be noticeable lower in price because there is a lot less to them as far as parts and mechanical function goes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why.

Thanks
You've never tore into a DA revolver have you?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:

Thanks
DA and SA revolvers are more complex with more tiny little precision machined parts.

revolvers are the swiss watches of the gun world. they are complex precision devices while semi autos are simple work horses kinda like the timex watch.

while a revolver looks simple they arent. ruger SA revolvers arent too bad and probably the most rugged simple sa revolver ever created if your talking ruger vaquero or blackhawks. the colt SA and its clones are pretty delicate and dont hold up well to tons of shooting without needing frequent overhauls.

DA revolvers are in the same boat in most respects they need frequent care and maintanance when shot a lot. hands and pawls frequently wear out and require replacement which requires fitting in order for the cylinder to time properly.

semi auto pistols have relatively few moving parts and are much less likely to kaboom when things wear out.

one of the big myths of the gun world is the revolver being less complex simple design than a semi auto.

all that being said there is nothing wrong with revolvers being more complex or semi auto being less well made. both work well and have served in warfare to great success. people routinely get extremely high round counts without problems with both platforms. the differences are truly minor at best and there is nothing wrong or bad choosing either as a defensive firearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

In the present hysteria of gun-buying it may reflect that many people new to handguns are buying revolvers because of their simpler manual of arms and maintenance requirements, pushing up the prices. I've seen some really wild amounts of money being asked for good used Smith revolvers.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1634

Just a thought. Many revolvers require much more steel than SA's do and more machining time. With the advent of polymer use in handguns (including some revolvers) costs are much lower than using hi-quality steel.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Just a thought. Many revolvers require much more steel than SA's do and more machining time. With the advent of polymer use in handguns (including some revolvers) costs are much lower than using hi-quality steel.
A good thought at that
Don't see many "plastic" parts on revolvers

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
lots of revolvers use low quality materials and such. as with anything its dependant on the manufacturer. just look at the newer s&w airweight type revolvers...

style of the action does not equate with quality.

its like saying a RG14 revolver is better than a wilson combat 1911 simply because one is a revolver and the other is a semi auto

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-05-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never realized there were so many aspects to revolvers as I have never owned or been inside one before. I have always had SA pistols and rifles. I am not a "new" gun owner, I just have never owned a revolver for no other reason that they are not my taste or style. But now that it has been mentioned, when I have handled and fired them they do seem smoother and a bit more solid. Kinda makes me want to go buy my first one

I'm off to scour the internet for some exploded views of common name revolvers to see just how they work.

Thanks for all the insight folks.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
I never realized there were so many aspects to revolvers as I have never owned or been inside one before. I have always had SA pistols and rifles. I am not a "new" gun owner, I just have never owned a revolver for no other reason that they are not my taste or style. But now that it has been mentioned, when I have handled and fired them they do seem smoother and a bit more solid. Kinda makes me want to go buy my first one

I'm off to scour the internet for some exploded views of common name revolvers to see just how they work.

Thanks for all the insight folks.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET