Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Semi-Auto vs Revolver Price Difference? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/semi-auto-vs-revolver-price-difference-85792/)

starving030 03-05-2013 03:31 AM

Semi-Auto vs Revolver Price Difference?

Is it just me, or are the price of revolvers a smidge higher than SA pistols?

My mind is stuck on the notion that revolvers should be noticeable lower in price because there is a lot less to them as far as parts and mechanical function goes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why.

Thanks

danf_fl 03-05-2013 11:08 AM

Are you talking new or used?

HOSSFLY 03-05-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starving030 (Post 1163940)

My mind is stuck on the notion that revolvers should be noticeable lower in price because there is a lot less to them as far as parts and mechanical function goes. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why.

Thanks

You've never tore into a DA revolver have you?

JonM 03-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starving030 (Post 1163940)

Thanks

DA and SA revolvers are more complex with more tiny little precision machined parts.

revolvers are the swiss watches of the gun world. they are complex precision devices while semi autos are simple work horses kinda like the timex watch.

while a revolver looks simple they arent. ruger SA revolvers arent too bad and probably the most rugged simple sa revolver ever created if your talking ruger vaquero or blackhawks. the colt SA and its clones are pretty delicate and dont hold up well to tons of shooting without needing frequent overhauls.

DA revolvers are in the same boat in most respects they need frequent care and maintanance when shot a lot. hands and pawls frequently wear out and require replacement which requires fitting in order for the cylinder to time properly.

semi auto pistols have relatively few moving parts and are much less likely to kaboom when things wear out.

one of the big myths of the gun world is the revolver being less complex simple design than a semi auto.

all that being said there is nothing wrong with revolvers being more complex or semi auto being less well made. both work well and have served in warfare to great success. people routinely get extremely high round counts without problems with both platforms. the differences are truly minor at best and there is nothing wrong or bad choosing either as a defensive firearm.

shouldazagged 03-05-2013 04:02 PM

In the present hysteria of gun-buying it may reflect that many people new to handguns are buying revolvers because of their simpler manual of arms and maintenance requirements, pushing up the prices. I've seen some really wild amounts of money being asked for good used Smith revolvers.

eatmydust 03-05-2013 04:09 PM

Just a thought. Many revolvers require much more steel than SA's do and more machining time. With the advent of polymer use in handguns (including some revolvers) costs are much lower than using hi-quality steel.

HOSSFLY 03-05-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1164423)
Just a thought. Many revolvers require much more steel than SA's do and more machining time. With the advent of polymer use in handguns (including some revolvers) costs are much lower than using hi-quality steel.

A good thought at that ;)
Don't see many "plastic" parts on revolvers ;)

JonM 03-05-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1164423)

lots of revolvers use low quality materials and such. as with anything its dependant on the manufacturer. just look at the newer s&w airweight type revolvers...

style of the action does not equate with quality.

its like saying a RG14 revolver is better than a wilson combat 1911 simply because one is a revolver and the other is a semi auto

:D

starving030 03-05-2013 11:42 PM

I never realized there were so many aspects to revolvers as I have never owned or been inside one before. I have always had SA pistols and rifles. I am not a "new" gun owner, I just have never owned a revolver for no other reason that they are not my taste or style. But now that it has been mentioned, when I have handled and fired them they do seem smoother and a bit more solid. Kinda makes me want to go buy my first one :D

I'm off to scour the internet for some exploded views of common name revolvers to see just how they work.

Thanks for all the insight folks.

HOSSFLY 03-05-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starving030 (Post 1165066)
I never realized there were so many aspects to revolvers as I have never owned or been inside one before. I have always had SA pistols and rifles. I am not a "new" gun owner, I just have never owned a revolver for no other reason that they are not my taste or style. But now that it has been mentioned, when I have handled and fired them they do seem smoother and a bit more solid. Kinda makes me want to go buy my first one :D

I'm off to scour the internet for some exploded views of common name revolvers to see just how they work.

Thanks for all the insight folks.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/