Semi auto or revolver for the left handed wifey? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Semi auto or revolver for the left handed wifey?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I am left handed. I have several autos that are sort of Ambidextrous. The most complete ambi gun that I have seen is the Bersa. Mine is a 45. But I do not use a slide release on any gun. I always release the slide by pulling it back and letting go. I have trained myself to do this because it works on virtually any gun. I could pick up a gun in an emergency and get it into action even if it wasn't mine and I wasn't familiar with it.

I also shoot revolvers. I compete in IDPA with a Smith & Wesson 629. It is a right handed gun. But I can reload it in a little over 3 seconds. No more than 4 seconds. It just takes practice. And a good wheel gun is great for self defense.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Gunslingerbarred Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

This is a lst assembled by a friend of mine. It has not been checked for accuracy, but may be a good spot for a left-hander to start.

Left handed guns

Smith&Wesson M&P, Full size and compact. Full Ambi.
S&W Bodyguard .380
Beretta 92
Beretta 96
FN FNP ambi mag release and safety.
FN FNX completely ambi
FN Five-seveN
Sig P250 - fully ambidextrous
H&K - P2000 or P30. Fully ambidextrous
HK P7
Kimber Warrior
CZ85 - Just like the 75 only controls on both sides
CZ83 .380 ACP
CZ82 Makarov
Charter Arms 38 Bulldog - Left handed revolver. Cyl. release/open on right
EAA EZ9- Think sig 226
Ruger P-series
Taurus PT-609
Taurus PT-845
Walter P99
Walther P88
Walther Model 4

Some semi ambidextous pistols. Safety and mag release on both sides

Springfield XD
Ruger sr9
S&W body guard revolver. Cyl. release top/opens right

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Im a lefty with a pistol because of my poor eyesight in my right eye. I battled the military issue weapons my whole career that didnt do ambidextrous well at all! Good luck finding a good one for your wife, as others pointed out, there are some good choices out there now, enjoy!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Look at the Charter SouthPaw. A Revolver that is designed for left handed people. And Charter is not that expensive.

http://charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Southpaw_93820.asp

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Look at the Charter SouthPaw. A Revolver that is designed for left handed people. And Charter is not that expensive.

http://charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Southpaw_93820.asp
This is pretty interesting. I didn't know about this until this thread. Pretty cool. I hope S&W makes one someday.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3170 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

This is pretty interesting. I didn't know about this until this thread. Pretty cool. I hope S&W makes one someday.
My wife and I are Both "ambi," her more so then me(I can cut steak with either hand, but learned to play Both Guitar & Violin traditional righthand style). That being said, I try and practice at least 15 Minutes every range session, the "shooting shift" drill. Old Army shooting team drill: fire 5 shots(from an Auto) or 3 from a wheel gun, and shift to your left hand and fire the rest with the off hand. Our lead Combat Shooting Instruction Officer(In WOCS) was a Japanese American who's Dad served In Italy and France In WWII. He was so good at it he could do it with 2 Gov't's at the same time(fire both one handed and shift each to opposite hands after 5 rounds. We had one Loudmouth Bayou Boy wonder in our class who could do "anything," Well somehow Boy Genius tried it with two Guns and got the web of his hand caught in the slide of his "pimp Popper"(what he called his Pearl Handled Star 45ACP),...needed 5 stitches and was "recycled" a week to the next class......Dumbazz....
Point being: it's very easily accomplished with snubbie wheel guns if you practice....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

My wife and I are Both "ambi," her more so then me(I can cut steak with either hand, but learned to play Both Guitar & Violin traditional righthand style). That being said, I try and practice at least 15 Minutes every range session, the "shooting shift" drill. Old Army shooting team drill: fire 5 shots(from an Auto) or 3 from a wheel gun, and shift to your left hand and fire the rest with the off hand. Our lead Combat Shooting Instruction Officer(In WOCS) was a Japanese American who's Dad served In Italy and France In WWII. He was so good at it he could do it with 2 Gov't's at the same time(fire both one handed and shift each to opposite hands after 5 rounds. We had one Loudmouth Bayou Boy wonder in our class who could do "anything," Well somehow Boy Genius tried it with two Guns and got the web of his hand caught in the slide of his "pimp Popper"(what he called his Pearl Handled Star 45ACP),...needed 5 stitches and was "recycled" a week to the next class......Dumbazz....
Point being: it's very easily accomplished with snubbie wheel guns if you practice....
Yeah, I personally do a little bit. Not enough. But I also don't shoot in general enough. My wife doesn't practice much ambi much. She's a southpaw, which s why I might be interested in the charter lefty wheel gun. I'd prefer one chambered in .357, but meh, what can ya do....

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #28

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Like most other things in the world working a right handed gun left handed just takes practice. I'm left handed and have no trouble with any firearm I have used. I've looked at left handed models both long and short but have yet to buy one. I do like an ambi safety on my 1911's though. I do wish holsters where easier to find though.

We left handed people are use do to adapting to so many things that it's really second nature to do so anymore. This is just one more thing.

I'll agree with those talking revolver and will also agree that a 357 makes much more sense.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

http://cabotgun.com/better-than-custom-1911-pistols/south-paw/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You guys have given some great choices and I really appreciate it. It looks like the M&P wins!!! Tek and Dr. Football thanks for the long lists I will definitely keep thesefor future reference!

Bedside--- mossberg 500 w/00 buckshot and PDX
Night Stand --- Springfield XD 9mm

JW357 Likes This