Semi auto or revolver for the left handed wifey? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Semi auto or revolver for the left handed wifey?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3615 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2505

Revolvers are an excellent option, also Ruger's SR series of semi-autos has ambi. safeties and mag. release buttons, but only rightie slide stops.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Revolvers are an excellent choice for a first time user/buyer. A 38/357 is a great all around fun gun to shoot and powerful enough for anything on 2 legs. And they aren't bigoted to lefties or righties.
Gunslingerbarred Likes This 
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

We are narrowing it down to SR or revolver, I'm actually interested in the M&P myself lol... But it's for her so we will see.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslingerbarred View Post
We are narrowing it down to SR or revolver, I'm actually interested in the M&P myself lol... But it's for her so we will see.
I would suggest you go to a local gunrange/store that has both, tell them you want to buy one but want to try both them out, and nt have to pay for both gun rentals. Im sure they would work with you and let you do it. Any gun may look nice on paper, but its how it fits in your hand, and if she is comfortable with the safeties (if any) etc, and can rack the slide etc, as well as the kick, that makes an ok gun a great gun.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslingerbarred
I will say this: My wife has several health issues(carpal tunnel, Arthritis,.possibly both osteo & rumatoid, and stenosis of the neck and spine). She has shot my SR, but does not like the slide(even her Browning Buckmark's slide gets "stiff & dry" after 250+ rounds). If it becomes a SHTF she is most likely going to be shooting our Mossberg SA-20, and while she has been getting better each week we practice with her autos, she still prefers wheelguns....She would carry 3 if she could! Her words" if they made an Auto that loaded itself without me needing to pull back a slide, I'd buy one tomorrow!!" We're both in lots of pain today because the weather is changing here(Finally!) to slightly "cooler" by next week. It was so hot here the the plastic liner of my retractable 50" hose popped while I was watering shrubs a few hrs ago....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 09-17-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a lefty and I bought the M&P 9. I like the ambidextrous slide release and mag release. One thing I've noticed about a revolver, I have an old S&W 38 special, is that the cylinder release is made for righties and the cylinder opens to the left. Doesn't make it easy for a lefty to open, eject and reload it.
orangello Likes This 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My wife is a lefty but shoots right handed be it a rifle or pistol. We went looking for a gun for cc class for her and looked at alot of auto loaders. I have a 38 S&W she could use but she has a problem with pulling the trigger with the double action. Many auto loaders have a double action trigger also. We finally got her a Bersa Thunder 380. We shot it today for the first time and its a sweet little gun. My wife had trouble with her right hand hurting after the first round, may have been holding the gun to loose. She switched to left handed and did pretty well. She missed a lot but she is not a shooter. Finally hit 5 for 5 in a 9" circle from 21 feet. No miss loads or extraction problems a well made gun and great little wife.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2794 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I will say this: My wife has several health issues(carpal tunnel, Arthritis,.possibly both osteo & rumatoid, and stenosis of the neck and spine). She has shot my SR, but does not like the slide(even her Browning Buckmark's slide gets "stiff & dry" after 250+ rounds). If it becomes a SHTF she is most likely going to be shooting our Mossberg SA-20, and while she has been getting better each week we practice with her autos, she still prefers wheelguns....She would carry 3 if she could! Her words" if they made an Auto that loaded itself without me needing to pull back a slide, I'd buy one tomorrow!!" We're both in lots of pain today because the weather is changing here(Finally!) to slightly "cooler" by next week. It was so hot here the the plastic liner of my retractable 50" hose popped while I was watering shrubs a few hrs ago....
There are some semi's out there that have a tip up barrel but they are usually limited to 380 or less. I believe Browning made a tip up 380 for while.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ

There are some semi's out there that have a tip up barrel but they are usually limited to 380 or less. I believe Browning made a tip up 380 for while.
Beretta, still has 2, the Tomcat(22LR/25ACP)
and the Bobcat(32ACP). She has also held the Beretta 84(about 3/4ths the size of a 92, same design-380 round) which has a very smooth slide(at least the one we held at the GS). Her PT actually told her to keep working on hand strength, so she will keep on shooting with whatever she hand handle.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslingerbarred
I was actually thinking along the lines of a 38 for her. I think we would find something she would feel alot better with than the XD 9 l
If you get her a revolver, which is 100% my recommendation btw, look for a .357 Magnum. You have more versatility than one chambered in .38 Special because if its chambered in .357 Magnum it can shoot both rounds. The opposite is not true.

Regarding M&Ps. I own a 9c and my wife has the 9mm full size. They are the most ergonomic semi-auto I have ever held, excluding 1911s. I absolutely love them. My wife is a lefty, but keeps her M&P setup for a righty. But it can, yes, be setup for a southpaw. The only thing that can't be ambi is the take-down lever. The mag release can be switched over, the slide stop comes ambi from the factory, and my model doesn't have the thumb safety although some do, so I'm not sure if it comes ambi or if you have to switch it. It's one if the most ambi friendly semi-autos out there.

Last edited by JW357; 09-18-2013 at 06:40 AM.