Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > *Selling/Transferring pistol originally purchased long before NJ FID requirements??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default *Selling/Transferring pistol originally purchased long before NJ FID requirements??

When buying a pistol in NJ in 1969 you didn't need a FID, just a permit to buy that pistol.
Let's say that a person bought a pistol back then and kept it till today, but now wants to sell it. How would they go about selling it without an FID number?A pistol permit bought in NJ today requires an "IDETIFICATION CARDNO./Sellers SBI#"
So how do you do it?
Was there a law passed that anyone who owned apistol had to obtain a FID, even tho they never bought another firearm? If a law like that was passed, what hapens if someone didn't get an FID and still owns a pistol (that was legally purchased with permit many decades ago)?THANKS!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdirect24
When buying a pistol in NJ in 1969 you didn't need a FID, just a permit to buy that pistol.
Let's say that a person bought a pistol back then and kept it till today, but now wants to sell it. How would they go about selling it without an FID number?A pistol permit bought in NJ today requires an "IDETIFICATION CARDNO./Sellers SBI#"
So how do you do it?
Was there a law passed that anyone who owned apistol had to obtain a FID, even tho they never bought another firearm? If a law like that was passed, what hapens if someone didn't get an FID and still owns a pistol (that was legally purchased with permit many decades ago)?THANKS!!
I believe that everyone that possesses a firearm is also required to have a FPID , even if the firearm was acquired years ago. Check with the State Police...try the website if you don't feel comfortable calling them.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #3

I am actually interested in purchasing the firearm but dont know how to go about doing it without a sellers FID number (who i know personally and know the orig purchase is legit)

Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #4

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdirect24 View Post
I am actually interested in purchasing the firearm but dont know how to go about doing it without a sellers FID number (who i know personally and know the orig purchase is legit)
Contact a local gun shop. I am sure they buy guns all the time from heirs or estates that do not have a FID. They can tell you what to put in the sellers FID area.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington