Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Selling a registered gun in Ohio?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Selling a registered gun in Ohio?

I was wondering about selling a registered gun. I know Ohio doesn't register guns. I was stationed in California during my time in the Marine Corps and purchased one of my handguns while I was out there and now I am looking to sell it to a buddy that is legally allowed to own it. The gun is reregistered in my name from when I purchased it in Cali. So is there any issues or hoops I have to jump threw in order to sell it to him or is F2F ok.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 322 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Not sure on this but at the least, I'd get an agreement written up on it (date of sale, model/serial number, signature of new owner, etc.). There's a few on here that can answer this better than me....just cover your own caboose for sure.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Kimberfan is correct. I live in Cleveland and I am in LE. That is the best for f2f or you can go to LGS and pay to do BCI check if your not sure of buyer. Make sure friend and you keep a copy of it just in case your not friends down the road and it is used in a crime.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcj View Post
Kimberfan is correct. I live in Cleveland and I am in LE. That is the best for f2f or you can go to LGS and pay to do BCI check if your not sure of buyer. Make sure friend and you keep a copy of it just in case your not friends down the road and it is used in a crime.
Thanks. I know him pretty well. He is the soon to be brother in law. I was with him when he bought his new 870 a week ago so I know he will pass the background check.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Ohio doesn't register guns so legally speaking you just have to get the money and hand over the gun. But I don't think, that's good business. It's always best to have some type of bill of sale to show that you sold the firearm. If for noting erlse to see if the person buying will have a problem wit hit. I wouldn't want to sell a weapon to someone that couldn't be bothered to sign a receipt.

You know this guy personally great, But I'd still want some type of bill of sale. Family or not business is business.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Ohio doesn't register guns so legally speaking you just have to get the money and hand over the gun. But I don't think, that's good business. It's always best to have some type of bill of sale to show that you sold the firearm. If for noting erlse to see if the person buying will have a problem wit hit. I wouldn't want to sell a weapon to someone that couldn't be bothered to sign a receipt.

You know this guy personally great, But I'd still want some type of bill of sale. Family or not business is business.
Yea we are gonna do are receipt. I just wanted to make sure there would be no issues since the gun was registered to me in Cali from when I was stationed out there. I think we might trade now tho. I have 2 Glock 23's and he wants one so he offered me a Colt Combat Commander MK IV Series 80 his dad gave him for one of the 23's. I told him his Colt was worth more then my Glock but he doesn't care.