Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Selling a registered gun in Ohio? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/selling-registered-gun-ohio-86818/)

dsrundown 03-18-2013 01:19 AM

Selling a registered gun in Ohio?

I was wondering about selling a registered gun. I know Ohio doesn't register guns. I was stationed in California during my time in the Marine Corps and purchased one of my handguns while I was out there and now I am looking to sell it to a buddy that is legally allowed to own it. The gun is reregistered in my name from when I purchased it in Cali. So is there any issues or hoops I have to jump threw in order to sell it to him or is F2F ok.

KimberFan 03-18-2013 01:23 AM

Not sure on this but at the least, I'd get an agreement written up on it (date of sale, model/serial number, signature of new owner, etc.). There's a few on here that can answer this better than me....just cover your own caboose for sure.

glockcj 03-18-2013 01:42 AM

Kimberfan is correct. I live in Cleveland and I am in LE. That is the best for f2f or you can go to LGS and pay to do BCI check if your not sure of buyer. Make sure friend and you keep a copy of it just in case your not friends down the road and it is used in a crime.

dsrundown 03-18-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockcj (Post 1180290)
Kimberfan is correct. I live in Cleveland and I am in LE. That is the best for f2f or you can go to LGS and pay to do BCI check if your not sure of buyer. Make sure friend and you keep a copy of it just in case your not friends down the road and it is used in a crime.

Thanks. I know him pretty well. He is the soon to be brother in law. I was with him when he bought his new 870 a week ago so I know he will pass the background check.

DrumJunkie 03-18-2013 02:17 AM

Ohio doesn't register guns so legally speaking you just have to get the money and hand over the gun. But I don't think, that's good business. It's always best to have some type of bill of sale to show that you sold the firearm. If for noting erlse to see if the person buying will have a problem wit hit. I wouldn't want to sell a weapon to someone that couldn't be bothered to sign a receipt.

You know this guy personally great, But I'd still want some type of bill of sale. Family or not business is business.;)

dsrundown 03-18-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1180371)
Ohio doesn't register guns so legally speaking you just have to get the money and hand over the gun. But I don't think, that's good business. It's always best to have some type of bill of sale to show that you sold the firearm. If for noting erlse to see if the person buying will have a problem wit hit. I wouldn't want to sell a weapon to someone that couldn't be bothered to sign a receipt.

You know this guy personally great, But I'd still want some type of bill of sale. Family or not business is business.;)

Yea we are gonna do are receipt. I just wanted to make sure there would be no issues since the gun was registered to me in Cali from when I was stationed out there. I think we might trade now tho. I have 2 Glock 23's and he wants one so he offered me a Colt Combat Commander MK IV Series 80 his dad gave him for one of the 23's. I told him his Colt was worth more then my Glock but he doesn't care.