Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Selling a handgun to a friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 129 Times on 89 Posts

I must be missing something because if Texas is anything like Tennessee you do not have a firearm transfer. You buy it from a dealer they check the firearm with the government (to make sure it wasn't stolen or used in a crime) then they check you with the government to see if you can legally own a firearm. Thats it. The only benefit of going to a dealer would be for the buyer to make sure it wasn't stolen.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #12

Liked 2152 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
I must be missing something because if Texas is anything like Tennessee you do not have a firearm transfer. You buy it from a dealer they check the firearm with the government (to make sure it wasn't stolen or used in a crime) then they check you with the government to see if you can legally own a firearm. Thats it. The only benefit of going to a dealer would be for the buyer to make sure it wasn't stolen.
You need to reread the entire thread-
BTW- going to a FFL WILL NOT show if the gun is stolen or not-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Simple enough, just ship it to an FFL in his area and let him deal with the transfer fees at that point. Even if it costs $10 or $50 in this age we are living in, you're best off to have a paper trail IMO. I don't know how the rest of the forum will take that comment, but at least it's how I feel.
Bingo. Though you guys paying those FFL transfer fees are getting reamed! Man renews a little love for Oregon!

Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2280 Times on 1195 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
The FFL checks the gun with the government? Really? Since when? An FFL cannot run an NCIC check. You are in Texas, embrace your freedom and sell the gun to your friend. Rest easy. NOTHING else is necessary.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

The FFL checks the gun with the government? Really? Since when? An FFL cannot run an NCIC check. You are in Texas, embrace your freedom and sell the gun to your friend. Rest easy. NOTHING else is necessary.
I think he was confusing a background check and serial registration with running gun in system. Here in Oregon during background check the FFL gives firearm serial, which could lead one to believe it too is going through check of some sort. I can understand that. I asked my FFL what that was all about first time I went through so that's the only reason I don't have same belief now. I ask way too many questions. Lol

Old 12-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #16

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
It's only like $10 for Christ's sake. Don't be a cheapskate, get the official transfer and register it.
Check your facts, bud. Firearms don't get registered to owners here in Texas. I will do a Firearms Bill of Sale as others have suggested that will have his info and the serial# of the pistol. If it's stolen from his home we will both be covered by the bill of sale that is signed and dated by both of us.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Simple enough, just ship it to an FFL in his area and let him deal with the transfer fees at that point. Even if it costs $10 or $50 in this age we are living in, you're best off to have a paper trail IMO. I don't know how the rest of the forum will take that comment, but at least it's how I feel.
As stated in the original post, I live in the same city as the guy I'm selling it to. He actually lives 3 blocks away from me.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Check your facts, bud. Firearms don't get registered to owners here in Texas. I will do a Firearms Bill of Sale as others have suggested that will have his info and the serial# of the pistol. If it's stolen from his home we will both be covered by the bill of sale that is signed and dated by both of us.
I'd still have him check with his insurance provider and see if that's sufficient enough incase of home theft.

Also doing it with FFL provides you a more official "bill of sale", which is a registration of sorts which is what I was referring to. It just legitimized the transfer and should anything happen they keep records that can be provided if such a situation were to arise, or at least mine does.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-20-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #19

I'll mention calling his insurance provider to him. He's a realtor so he may have already done that. I appreciate all the advice as well.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #20
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1045 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 5375

I can't give advice on the laws in Texas, nor anywhere else. I am not a liar.... er, I mean Lawyer. However. I can tell you what I do regarding private transferers.

I keep an In and out file on my computer that has a bill of sale for all private purchases of firearms that I do. Make, model, serial number, caliber\gauge. barrel length, etc. on the gun.
As to the purchaser or seller, I only buy or trade to and from people I have known for years. I make 2 copies of a bill of sale, copies of both driver's lisences, and copies of pistol permits, and pictures of the firearm and a traceing of it's serial number. Here in NY, there is an additional step if it is a pistol. I only purchase pistols in my county, so we both go to the pistol permit clerk's office, pay the three dollars each to get it transfered from theirs to mine before I pick it up. (required in my state, you are breaking a law if you even handle a pistol that is not on your permit.) By doing this, if something happens, it covers my azz.

This is just what I do. It is not something I am telling anyone else to do. How each of us handles local face to face transferes is up to them. The only reason I do it this way, with the exception of handguns, is to cover myself if something goes wrong. Generally, if somebody has something to hide, they will not want you to have a copy of their I.D. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?