Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Selling a handgun to a friend (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/selling-handgun-friend-78896/)

DoyleTheDog 12-19-2012 06:28 PM

Selling a handgun to a friend

Wasn't really sure where to post this.

I'm thinking of selling one of my handguns to a buddy that lives here in the same city as me. Will he have to pay a transfer fee? I figure he would but wasn't sure.

HOSSFLY 12-19-2012 06:41 PM

Not if private sales are legal in your state-
I strongly suggest you both have signed receipts & you have his DL number!

OK, you're in Texas- no transfer at FFL needed

DoyleTheDog 12-19-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1058151)
I strongly suggest you both have signed receipts & you have his DL number!
OK, you're in Texas- no transfer at FFL needed

This guy is like family to me so I'm not really concerned with getting his DL#. I do have a Firearm Bill of Sale that we will both fill out and have copies of.

c3shooter 12-19-2012 07:29 PM

Texas does not require that a sale to a resident of the same state go thru a FFL. Some states do.

So long as you do not have reason to believe he cannot own a gun legally, you can.

Some folks will suggest you do so anyway. Me, I'd write up a bill of sale, make, model, serial number, your names. 2 copies. Both sign, each keeps a copy.

HOSSFLY 12-19-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog (Post 1058220)
This guy is like family to me so I'm not really concerned with getting his DL#. I do have a Firearm Bill of Sale that we will both fill out and have copies of.

FYI- I sold a handgun to a very good friend & he later sold it to a "guy" that commited a homicide with it---
Cover your azz ;)

BeyondTheBox 12-19-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1058280)

FYI- I sold a handgun to a very good friend & he later sold it to a "guy" that commited a homicide with it---
Cover your azz ;)

Or it could be stolen from friend or friends house.

Another good reason to have not just bill of sale but FFL transfer. It's only like $10 for Christ's sake. Don't be a cheapskate, get the official transfer and register it. This way if it's stolen from your friends home is covered under his insurance and filing police report doesn't become a major hassle. Just my thought.

Doc3402 12-20-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog (Post 1058220)

Yes you are. Trust me. Getting his DL# is a positive manner of identification that is much harder to deny than a name. If he gets his butt in a crack he is liable to throw you under the bus. Protect yourself. Get the DL number.

JD1969 12-20-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1058399)
Or it could be stolen from friend or friends house.

Another good reason to have not just bill of sale but FFL transfer. It's only like $10 for Christ's sake. Don't be a cheapskate, get the official transfer and register it. This way if it's stolen from your friends home is covered under his insurance and filing police report doesn't become a major hassle. Just my thought.

Yea, not everywhere. Around here FFL's are charging $50-75 to do a transfer. The cheapest I have found is $35.

drvsafe 12-20-2012 01:42 PM

Simple enough, just ship it to an FFL in his area and let him deal with the transfer fees at that point. Even if it costs $10 or $50 in this age we are living in, you're best off to have a paper trail IMO. I don't know how the rest of the forum will take that comment, but at least it's how I feel.

bluez 12-20-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1058399)
O. It's only like $10 for Christ's sake. .

Here its 40 dollars each way.
And then hassle of going to FFls.
When its not required I wont do it.
Just take a pic of his DL and keep it.