Selling a handgun in cali! Help!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Selling a handgun in cali! Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Selling a handgun in cali! Help!

So i know how you have to do it through an ffl dealer and all that paper work...but i was wondering if there was a legal way around that or like a grey area...i need a car bad and i have no cash and this guy wants my gun and i dont really want 2 ask him to pay for the fees and everything. So i guess is there a way around doing all the paper work and fees and what not...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #2

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I hope nobody advises how you can "go around the law" here
Check local laws FGS - You may can trade/sell it to him FTF legal---
Go by the law or walk- Just my 2 bits -----------------------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #3

Im not saying going around the law...i know him...its not like hes gonna run off and kill someone with it...i dont have any money...im 22 years old and i need a ****ing car for work *******...i guess if you dont have an answer for my question dont post on my thread thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpablo1120 View Post
So i know how you have to do it through an ffl dealer and all that paper work...but i was wondering if there was a legal way around that or like a grey area...i need a car bad and i have no cash and this guy wants my gun and i dont really want 2 ask him to pay for the fees and everything. So i guess is there a way around doing all the paper work and fees and what not...

I want to sell a gun to another person, i.e., a private party transfer. Am I required to conduct the transaction through a licensed California firearms dealer?
  • Yes. Firearm sales must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The buyer (and seller, in the event that the; buyer is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements. "Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request. Firearms dealers may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting a private party transfer. Example:
    1. For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
    2. For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of$10.00 per each additional firearm transferred.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#14

Apparently no face-to-face sales in CA. You could eat the $35 in fees yourself.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Sorry, if he wants the gun, he'll do the required song & dance to make it all legal.
We're not talking about a small thing here, legally transferring a gun in the Peoples Republic of Kolifornia requires certain steps. Bypassing them could ruin both your lives. Worth it? I think not.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
lilpablo1120 Likes This 
Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I want to sell a gun to another person, i.e., a private party transfer. Am I required to conduct the transaction through a licensed California firearms dealer?
  • Yes. Firearm sales must be conducted through a fully licensed California firearms dealer. Failure to do so is a violation of California law. The buyer (and seller, in the event that the; buyer is denied), must meet the normal firearm purchase and delivery requirements. "Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request. Firearms dealers may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting a private party transfer. Example:
    1. For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
    2. For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of$10.00 per each additional firearm transferred.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#14

Apparently no face-to-face sales in CA. You could eat the $35 in fees yourself.
See thankyou jpyle...that was a much more helpful answer

Old 06-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Im not saying going around the law...i know him...its not like hes gonna run off and kill someone with it...i dont have any money...im 22 years old and i need a ****ing car for work *******...i guess if you dont have an answer for my question dont post on my thread thanks
You got a answer-----
You may go now

BTW- I've done at least a half a hundred FTF here in Texas & TWO have come back to my dealer (cause they were in MY name as last owner) as involved in a homicide - Don't tell me he ain't gonna kill somebody! How do you know!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 06-09-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #8

So that says if its 50 years old its exempt for having to go through a ffl dealer...is that right? Cuz the gun im trying to sell is well about 100 years old

Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
So that says if its 50 years old its exempt for having to go through a ffl dealer...is that right? Cuz the gun im trying to sell is well about 100 years old
If it a antique thats different in MOST states - Find out the law in your state=
Its just not good to ask these type question on a forum- You get OPINIONS -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

lilpablo1120 Likes This 
Old 06-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #10

Ok...sorry for getting pissed hossfly... Hes one of my friends and i have no money to buy his rig or pay for the fees. Just trying to have him gain owership of it without asking him to do all that stuff because it bit turn him away from wanting to give me it...but if thats what has to happen then i guess we'll both have to deal with it lol