Self Defense - Center Mass - Bones - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Self Defense - Center Mass - Bones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
I understand the best way to incapacitate someone is through massive blood loss, so you aim for organs, thus you aim for center mass. Isn't center mass also the sternum? And aren't all the major organs surrounded by bone? Will a hollow point go through bone or just stop when it gets there?
The issue of center mass is because for most of us that is the easiest thing to hit, therefore when we open up we direct as much as we can in that direction, at least some rounds should work.

I saw a video recently where a police woman, obviously highly trained, confronts a deranged man holding a girl hostage with a knife.

First she gets close enough to achieve a position of control,
then she distracts the assailant with a bottle of water thrown in front of him, that confuses the assailant,
she bluffs with the left hand while reaching pistol at about 5:00 O'clock position,
what happens next is amazing: In one second the police officer gives one, two fast steps forward while presenting her pistol(possibly a 9mm according to the story) and delivers a shot right on the mans face who falls backwards and then, only then, does she deliver three shot to the man's thorax.
End of story.

Weather is a punch, a baseball bat, a bullet, is the head the easiest way to disable a person, almost instantly.
Heck i knocked out a friend accidentally practicing martial arts once

Last edited by gatopardo; 08-04-2010 at 02:19 AM.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No way to tell where those shots hit (#2 appeared to into the wall behind the guy) but his head looked pretty well intact immediately following #1, and in the final view. I'll watch again, but after 4 viewings, I'm not seeing anything resembling aimed fire, let alone what is described. Help me out here, folks!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #13

Default Maybe you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
No way to tell where those shots hit (#2 appeared to into the wall behind the guy) but his head looked pretty well intact immediately following #1, and in the final view. I'll watch again, but after 4 viewings, I'm not seeing anything resembling aimed fire, let alone what is described. Help me out here, folks!
Maybe you're right, the man's head didn't explode like a water balloon and there are not the traditional splatter signs of a decent shooting, besides, maybe the lady in the video is not even a police officer, she looks more like a nurse to me now, with a conceal carry permit that is, whom on her way home was presented with a desperate situation and having daughters of her on, took it on herself to perform an act of heroism, brutal and desperate perhaps to save the person who at that moment reminded her of her own daughter, a life in danger.

The more I think about it the more upset I get about how deceiving video making crews are

As for my description, hastily laid, I apologize, after detained examination I realized I must have been describing something else altogether

Now seriously, leaving the humor on the side, what do you thing it really happened

Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Well for one thing, none of the Asian countries I know of have laws to permit individuals to carry a handgun, especially concealed. She was obviously a police detective, possibly part of a Hostage/Victims team that was acting as a non-aggressive and non-threatening citizen to distract the perp, just long enough to quickly get a shot off.

If you observe, when he was momentarily distracted, she moved forward quickly to her target while firing to get the best shot, and overwhelm, which was correct.

Once hit, like most individuals, they are for just an instant, overwhelmed/shocked/confused and knocked off guard as their Fight or Flight response, instantly kicks in. She then followed through quickly to finish the job. Shots were most likely to the upper torso and neck.

If you have ever been faced in a bad situation and forced to shoot someone, that same exact reaction is 98% accurate and observable. It's the other 2% of reactions, one needs to be prepared for.

Distraction is always a very good tactic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Well for one thing, none of the Asian countries I know of have laws to permit individuals to carry a handgun, especially concealed. She was obviously a police detective, possibly part of a Hostage/Victims team that was acting as a non-aggressive and non-threatening citizen to distract the perp, just long enough to quickly get a shot off.

If you observe, when he was momentarily distracted, she moved forward quickly to her target while firing to get the best shot, and overwhelm, which was correct.

Once hit, like most individuals, they are for just an instant, overwhelmed/shocked/confused and knocked off guard as their Fight or Flight response, instantly kicks in. She then followed through quickly to finish the job. Shots were most likely to the upper torso and neck.

If you have ever been faced in a bad situation and forced to shoot someone, that same exact reaction is 98% accurate and observable. It's the other 2% of reactions, one needs to be prepared for.

Distraction is always a very good tactic.
That makes a lot of sense, wish I knew how they train in the range

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
That makes a lot of sense, wish I knew how they train in the range

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #17

Default How they train

The lady in the white coat, she is a pistol

Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

China has two types of police. Unarmed (which is the most common) and armed. They also don't play much. Trials are too expensive. Whatever, the gun is probably shooting a 9mm Makarov type cartridge rather than the 9mm Parabellum Americans are used to playing with.

Going back to the original question. Loss of blood is one of the slowest ways of stopping an opponent (either two or four legged). It is faster than death by infection, but it is not a desired method of accomplishing most shooting tasks. We train novices to shoot center of mass because that greatly increases the chance of the bullet hitting something important. At the same time we preach we shoot to stop, not to kill. That avoids lawsuits when dealing with humans. Hunters however have to be more accurate and do shoot to kill if they wish to survive or eat their prey.

The fastest way to kill a human is to destroy the brain. The second fastest is to destroy a major organ such as the heart. This can produce death in 2 to 160 seconds. Death from loss of blood can also sometimes take awhile, although sometimes it is fairly quick. The possibility of three minutes of continuing battle is why non-novice shooters prefer rifles, cover and distance. Compared to heavier boned critters human bones are light and fragile and the human (even with clothes on) is considered a thin skinned animal. Most bullets, even handgun bullets tend to have little problems piercing human skin and bones.

The situation changes when targeting animals over 300 pounds. Their bones are denser, and sometimes even their hides will stop many kinds of lesser pistol bullets. Some of the most dangerous game is also some of the stupidest. That is you kill them and it takes 20 minutes before they get the message. Unless prepared for this phenomena, often you are dead by then too. For this reason long-lived professional hunters of dangerous game, i.e., Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Bull elephant, Grizzly Bear, etc. often do not shoot for an organ first. Rather instead they shoot the front shoulders. Smash the shoulder bones and the animal often goes down, or at least slows up immensely. Then and only then you finish the crippled thing off. Not sporting at all. But such hunting tactics are usually reserved for proven killers. Landmines work too.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

KISS (keep it simple stupid). If you are in a situation where you have to draw and fire center mass is the high % shot. Larger target and anyone in that position shouldn't be thinking about "one shot one kill" It's not over until the other person has left this world. IF it happens it's not like in the movies, one in the head in slow motion and walk away, it's a fight for life. Aim for center mass and keep putting rounds there until the threat is overcome.

IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.