Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Self Defense - Center Mass - Bones (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/self-defense-center-mass-bones-29709/)

PeteZaHut 07-26-2010 05:41 PM

Self Defense - Center Mass - Bones

I understand the best way to incapacitate someone is through massive blood loss, so you aim for organs, thus you aim for center mass. Isn't center mass also the sternum? And aren't all the major organs surrounded by bone? Will a hollow point go through bone or just stop when it gets there?

jeepcreep927 07-26-2010 06:07 PM

Fastest incapacitation is caused by interfering with or damaging three systems, central nervous system, musculoskelatal system and circulatory system, in that order. A good hit to the CNS is the fastest because it's usually "lights out". Destroying support structures like the spine (also probability of hitting the spinal cord resulting in a CNS disruption) or pelvis removes an attackers ability to physically continue. Massive blood loss certainly will cause incapacitation but not as quickly as the other two.

High center mass is the preferred target because that is where the highest concentration of those systems is located (spine, spinal cord, heart, aorta, etc.) thus providing more opportunities, for lack of a better word, for a round to disrupt one or more of the three systems.

The sternum and ribs don't offer any significant protection from a bullet.

danf_fl 07-26-2010 07:53 PM

Center of mass is shooting at the center of a target (which may or may not be a homo sapien). When one aims at "center of mass", what is meant is "don't try to shoot at the edge of the target". You want to hit your target as close to center as possible using as much area needed to guarantee a hit somewhere on target. (How many misses would one have if the bull's eye were at the 3 o'clock edge of the target vs the center?)

jeepcreep927 07-26-2010 08:01 PM

Sorry Dan, I automatically thought of the reason to aim center mass on a human. Assumptions. :o

danf_fl 07-26-2010 08:18 PM

My clarification is more for the inexperienced. As the OP used COM, the body is correct, but for general reference, COM is used mainly for targets.

robocop10mm 07-26-2010 08:22 PM

A hollow point handgun bullet is designed to expand from fluid pressure entering the nose. Bone does not cause expansion. Bone can deter expansion by clogging the hollow point.

Sternums offer little resistance to major power handgun bullets. By major power, I mean calibers that start with a "4" or a .357 Mag.

gorknoids 07-26-2010 10:47 PM

Best shot is straight into the medulla oblongata, but it's a low-percentage shot. Better to pound half a dozen into the chest and then check for effectiveness. If the chest is hidden, shoot the SOB where you can hit him. A broken pelvis will drop a BG, but he'll likely still be firing. The Mozambique is considered the gold standard by many, and as Robo said, ribs aren't an issue.

sweeper22 07-26-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteZaHut (Post 320596)
I understand the best way to incapacitate someone is through massive blood loss, so you aim for organs, thus you aim for center mass. Isn't center mass also the sternum? And aren't all the major organs surrounded by bone? Will a hollow point go through bone or just stop when it gets there?

Ribs quickly become shrapnel and projectiles themselves. High rib trauma (be it a bullet, a car accident, blunt object) often results in a punctured lung at the very least. So striking a rib upon entry will gerenally only worsen most center mass strikes.

canebrake 07-27-2010 12:04 AM

You shoot at the heart?

The reason for the COM theory is that it provides the best chance of a hit. More holes = more blood loss. Drop the blood pressure and drop the target.

Are you talking about personal defense or hunting?

If PD read this:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/combat-accuracy-18751/#post320799

Reset the OODA Loop.

gorknoids 07-27-2010 01:31 AM

Having re-read that part about the belt buckle on a moving target, I'm reminded of basic tackling instruction for football. You body goes where your navel goes, so head-fakes and crazy-legs moves are nothing more than preparatory or distractive efforts to deceive your opponent regarding the true direction you intend to head. If you want to know where the guy is headed, check the abs.