Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Self D ammo in an M9? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/self-d-ammo-m9-61566/)

tsully85 04-01-2012 02:57 AM

Self D ammo in an M9?

I'm guessing the anwer is yes, but I'm wondering if self defense loads will run through a Beretta M9 okay. I know the military's restricted to ball ammo, so maybe the chamber's not designed to feed hollow points?

pagj17 04-01-2012 03:04 AM

M9 should be fine, however, get caught by the wrong "lawyer type" and you could get in trouble.

tsully85 04-01-2012 03:12 AM

I saw both Model 92's and M9's on Beretta's sight, got the impression M9's were available to civilians now. I know there's basically no difference between the two, only one I could think of would be the chamber.

pagj17 04-01-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsully85
I saw both Model 92's and M9's on Beretta's sight, got the impression M9's were available to civilians now. I know there's basically no difference between the two, only one I could think of would be the chamber.

Oh haha yeah, nvm, thought you were military. I can't offs the top recall the exact differences, I think it's phosphated but the chamber will be the same.

tsully85 04-01-2012 05:14 AM

That's what I figured. Just don't wanna buy one and then find out it chokes on JHP's.

oli700 04-01-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsully85 (Post 758133)
I'm guessing the anwer is yes, but I'm wondering if self defense loads will run through a Beretta M9 okay. I know the military's restricted to ball ammo, so maybe the chamber's not designed to feed hollow points?

Most HPís will be fine. I only say most because there might be something out there that doesnít feed but itís unlikely if it is a factory load because 92ís(M9) are usually as reliable as a hammer. Pick up some 124 grain +p Gold Dots or Golden Sabers, shoot a few to make sure they function and you can hit with them

hardluk1 04-01-2012 04:59 PM

Just take for granted that any pistol needs to prove it functions fine with what ever ammo you deside to try. It may run great with 4 out of 10 types or all of them. Trial and error. Depending on where your at georgia arms has a great price on very good new 124gr HP +P ammo that use's a speer boonded unicor bullete AKA gold dot.

therewolf 04-01-2012 06:46 PM

I've shot HPs fine with my 92FS and 92A1.

But nothing extreme.

Test any HPs you want to use. None of the HPs I use

have a tip which interferes with the feed ramp.

As to legal issues, avoid self-defense ammo with

inflammatory statements on the box. Also

remember the BG could have; gone to the library, lifted weights,

moved stuff into/out of the attic/basement, applied for a job, volunteered

to help a blind person, moved to Indiana, or any one of a thousand other

things, instead of

willfully deciding to endanger your life today...

tsully85 04-01-2012 09:37 PM

Thanks for all the info. Good to hear others have run hollows through it no problem. I was afraid maybe the M9 was similar to the early 1911's in that they were never intended to run on JHP's. And yeah, I'll avoid loading up with Zombie Max lol.

therewolf 04-02-2012 02:10 PM

IME, in general with autoloaders, JHPs without edges which can

grab the feed ramp work best, YMMV.