Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Search for Small CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well it sounds like your looking for something that is light and easy to carry when your wearing summer clothes. All of the guns these guys mentioned will do the trick but ill suggest a couple not listed so far. With modern .380 defense ammo the .380 can be a sufficient round and if your comfortable with a .380 I would suggest the sig p238. Mine has been 100% reliable, it is extremly accurate due to the very light single action trigger. The p238 wieghes only 15.2 ounces and is as small as any of the little keltecs. If you need a little more power I would suggest a S&W 642. Because it is a revolver it is extremely reliable, weighs only 15 ounces and is rated for +p. The glock 27 is a great gun but as you have realized it is not all that easy to conceal when wearing shorts and t-shirt. If you opt for a 9mm you can only gain a little bit of concealment but if you go with a .380 or little j frame .38 you can get a concealable gun you will always have on you because it will conceal with any attire.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #22

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

S & W 642 or Ruger LCP.380...very small...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's what I decided on for summer CC in Michigan.

However, I'm concerned about the ability of the .380 to protect me from a BG who's wearing three coats during the winter so I'm looking now for a small, compact 9MM and I see a few good choices out there. Kel-Tec has a few choices but I'm not sold on their reliability. Kahr, on the other hand, has the "PM9", "CM9" & "CW9" and they are very affordable. Same for the Ruger "SR9" and Walthers latest offering.

The Kimber Solo has to be the biggest fiasco I've ever seen. At first I was like many people out there and thought I had to have one but thank God my guardian angel was watching out for me and saved me $700. What a joke.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #24

I recently purchased a KelTec PF9. I have had a few FTE but that was during the first 100 rounds. I expected it. It is a great gun and conceals like a charm. I know it's made to carry a lot and shoot less, but I going to run this thing through it's paces. KelTec has a great warranty. I buy them to shoot. Not to look at.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I also carry a 27 90% of the time and wanted something smaller. I went out and shot LCP, PF9, LC9, and a few others. NOTHING comes close to the Sig P238 I bought in terms of quality, accuracy, and finish. Just hold an LCP and a P238 at the same time and tell me you can't tell. Sure it's twice as much as the saturday night specials others rae recommending, but hey it's your life on the line... Fired 100 rds of white box and 50 of Gold Dot 90 grains no problem....

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
I also carry a 27 90% of the time and wanted something smaller. I went out and shot LCP, PF9, LC9, and a few others. NOTHING comes close to the Sig P238 I bought in terms of quality, accuracy, and finish. Just hold an LCP and a P238 at the same time and tell me you can't tell. Sure it's twice as much as the saturday night specials others rae recommending, but hey it's your life on the line... Fired 100 rds of white box and 50 of Gold Dot 90 grains no problem....
The P238 has the best trigger by far. BUT, most of the 380's sold today are designed as pocket pistols; and I would not feel comfortable carrying the Sig in my pocket. I would not feel comfortable carrying that short, SA trigger where the safety could too easily be disengaged when drawing from a pocket.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm pretty happy with my KLCR. Easy pocket carry (5'11") or IWB

Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #28

I am very happy with my S&W Bodyguard .38. Conceals nicely and I love the reliability of a revolver for those SNAFU moments.

image-937359991.jpg   image-3515324493.jpg  

Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerw289 View Post
I recently purchased a KelTec PF9. I have had a few FTE but that was during the first 100 rounds. I expected it. It is a great gun and conceals like a charm. I know it's made to carry a lot and shoot less, but I going to run this thing through it's paces. KelTec has a great warranty. I buy them to shoot. Not to look at.
I'm sorry but what? You EXPECT a gun to have problems? Why would you buy something you expected not to work? Why not spend money on something you expect TO work?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #30

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I dont have a large budget so i have to save up to buy a new toy,and i dont like spending a few months saving money just to throw it out the window. When i finally get to buy the gun it DAMN well better function.. Reality... Will it malfunction..ever?Maybe eventually due to watever the numerous reasons why a malfunction occurs... But should you expect it? Hell no!! U dont want to be out somewhere and have it in the back of your mind tht your gun might malfunction on you if u god forbid have to use it. U need to have the up most confidence in ur weapon and know thts its there for you when u need it.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis