Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   From scratch (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/scratch-86985/)

BeyondTheBox 03-20-2013 07:36 AM

From scratch

If you had it to do all over again, from first gun on, with the knowledge and understanding you have now, would you change your selections and would it change what you currently have at all?

For me absolutely, the first 7 or so I would exchange for 3. I'd never have bought the majority of guns I've had actually. All the DAO and striker fire, never would've touched. Took me a while to understand that I'm a hammer man.

- 1st gun would've been a more compact 9mm, Sig P938
- 2nd a full size 9mm, Taurus PT92
- 3rd an officer 1911, RIA probably
- 4th I already have, a good compact 22lr plinker, the Phoenix HP22A &
- 5th I already have a deep conceal 22, 25 or 32, like my Beretta Jetfire

What I have now is good and I won't be trading or adding any time soon, but they don't quite fit what I now know I would've wanted had I known. Eg...

- 1st is a compact 9mm, twice the weight and over an inch in overall size larger than the P938
- 2nd the same gun in 45 which is awesome and I love and 1911 like enough is good for me
- 3rd my Phoenix
- 4th my Beretta Jetfire

So I'm close, close enough I'm happy with my collection, but took a lot of losers to get here.

MisterMcCool 03-20-2013 12:05 PM

I can not say that I have learned my lesson yet, but I have regretted every "cheap" gun I have purchased. It is better to invest in quality.

trip286 03-20-2013 12:16 PM

I would've kept that little snubbie Rossi .357 magnum and my mossberg 500. Beyond that, I probably would've done everything else the same.

danf_fl 03-20-2013 12:46 PM

I am glad of the route my "collecting" has taken me.

I've gotten to know so many different firearms over the time.

Rick1967 03-20-2013 01:39 PM

I feel like Danf_fl.

I am a shade tree gunsmith simply because of necessity.

SigArmored 03-20-2013 02:02 PM

I've been lucky with my firearms collection with the exception of a Jennings that if memory serves me I didn't spend a whole lot on.

txpossum 03-20-2013 02:56 PM

I was lucky in that my father was a gun person, and I grew up around "quality" guns, so from the start my basic collection was pretty solid. This is not to say that I haven't frequently kicked myself for selling, or not buying, a certain gun. Not too long ago I briefly considered selling some of my guns in order to buy others to re-configure my collection, but I realized that there wasn't one in my current collection that I had any inclination to get rid of.

BeyondTheBox 03-20-2013 05:16 PM

My problem want with quality, I've always been lucky getting a quality gun even with the cheapo junkers I bought. My lessons learned came in the form of trigger action and what comes along with the difference.

Bob Wright 03-20-2013 06:02 PM

I bought guns simply to learn how they work, and how they shoot. In that I got quite an education.

I do not regret buying the guns I now have. I don't regret the guns I got rid of as I replaced them with better guns.

Bob Wright

FrontierTCB 03-20-2013 07:02 PM

Only sold about 10 guns over the years. Regret selling all but a couple that were junk.
Most regretted:

Ruger Mini 14, folding stock, five 30 rd mags sold about 4 yrs ago for $475. If I only knew what it would be worth in 2013!

Colt Combat Commander 1991A1. Sold to buy engagement ring (young dumb). Divorced 2yrs later.

Colt King Cobra sold after putting one box of 50 rds through it and having it set untouched for a couple years. Wanted a G27 to carry since I didn't use the Cobra, sold it for $375.00 (big money for a 22 yr old) and bought the Glock. Found out months later Colt would stop producing the Cobra. Just my luck.

I've got every gun I "need" now. Recent and future purchases will be based in "want". I think long and hard when I consider selling a firearm now. Then usually decide against it.