Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Scenario:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

I'm sure that when you got your CCW permit,(yah, I DNK what happened to the

2A, either) you also got pretty much the same letter with it

which I did. I don't feel I'll ever need to draw my gun

in SD, and I don't look for trouble. Years have passed since I got my

CCW, with no incidents.

I remind myself every time I put the gun on-" I am NOT the police,

CIA, FBI, 007, Captain America, the A-Team,the sheriff,Deputy Dawg,

or even Danger Mouse."

But what may happen when the chips are down, who can say? Many

people, when questioned after just such an incident say the did the exact

opposite of what they thought they would do.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #32

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Id draw and give him the option....drop the gun, get on the deck. If he turns it on me then id smoke him in a new york minute.

The way i take the laws is if i was to smoke him from the start i could be in trouble because technically my life wasnt in danger...i couldve layed low behind the doritos rack and he probably wouldnt have known i was there.

On the other hand i was raised not to do the latter and be a coward. That clerk is someones loved one and how could i live with myself if i stood by idlely and let them die.

If the bg was a cop he wouldve identified himself as one as to avoid being mistakenly shot by a ccw holder thinking he was a crook.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #33
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGunner View Post
. . . With all that said "what would I do" hell sorry but I would be out the front door or back door or what ever door I can get to, Reaching for my phone to call for help not my gun. I may end up dead by doing all that but I can tell you that is what I would do. I am not a cop or a hero.

If my family was there with me different story, If the shot is a clear one, The threat would be eliminated in a split second from instinct of protecting my loved ones flowing though my blood. I may get sued $10,000 - ???? may be life in prison who knows but my family is still alive..... PRICELESS..... and that's for real!
I’ve been thinking about this sort of thing since I dropped off my application last summer. What would I do, what should I do, etc. I suspect I’d do the same as I quoted above.

For me though, there's not enough detail in the OPs question to make an informed decision. Do I have cover? Do I have a shot? Is the guy under control? Is the clerk cooperating? Is the guy jumpy or has he ‘lost it’? Are there any other people around? Basically the question I’d ask myself is; Is my starting a gun fight going to make a bad situation better, or make a bad situation worse.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #34

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

22 years ago I was working at a 7-11 when I got robbed. I was beaten with a baseball bat. I wish someone had shot him. I would rather not have gone through it.

If I were in the situation you describe, I would shoot immediatly. It is not a matter of "smoke them" or dont "smoke them". It would be a matter of latter having to live with the fact that I watched someone get murdered that I could have prevented.

Tha man that robbed me tried to kill me. If someone had come in and killed him he would have deserved to die anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #35

Liked 342 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Due respect to all in this thread, but if you draw, SHOOT! Mr. Bad Guy might be a terrible shot, might never have even fired his piece, might not be loaded or in C1. I'm with Jeff Cooper on this one, I'm not gonna roll those dice.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #36

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Due respect to all in this thread, but if you draw, SHOOT! Mr. Bad Guy might be a terrible shot, might never have even fired his piece, might not be loaded or in C1. I'm with Jeff Cooper on this one, I'm not gonna roll those dice.
Yeah, this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^, also remember, many

of these guys either have a screw loose, or are violence junkies,

robbing the store is just a part of their action. So when he's done with

the clerk, you may very well be next.

Don't forget, you pull that trigger, and once the guy is dead(I'm

just going to assume that anyone who says "smoke 'im" probably wouldn't

pull the trigger.) your life is changed forever. Not only do you have to

live with whatever crap-ball the justice system throws you, you

have to live with yourself.

Wyatt Earp, in his earning of his reputation, as "the fastest gun in the

West", only shot one man dead, before he went to Tombstone. It

haunted him the rest of his life, because unlike sociopaths, HE

had a conscience.

Maybe we can start a "what if" forum, so we can get on with

discussing more constructive things here.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
well if BG already has weapon drawn, your in a bad position....odds of drawing from concealment and getting on target before you get shot is slim, at best!

So me, i would look for an opportunity to present itself. bout all you can logically do.
I agree totally, if he got his gun drawn and u didnt, it would be tough to draw without risking your life. Now had he drew and u got yours out too, chances are better.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #38

Liked 342 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Yeah, this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^,
Wolf, don't understand me so fast. The original question was a "What do I do if." Others added their $.02, so did I. You're right on target, (no pun), with everything you said. We're at a big disadvantage in the original scenerio. Being law abiding citizens, we can't think the way a crook does. And, Mr. Bad Guy knows what he's going to do, we have to guess. Personally, I hope the only place I ever draw/discharge my weapon is at the range. But if it comes down to the scenerio that began this thread, I stand by what I said.