Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Scenario:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scenario:

Our in a convenience store and a guy walks in with a gun to the clerks head.
1- Do you just smoke em?
Or
2- Draw and give him an option?

Just curious as to what many cc's would do.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

How do you know duder isn't a LEO putting a gun to a robber's head while the robber is standing on the real clerk's head as she kisses the floor and laments dropping out of college?

I don't carry outside my car. If i did, i would bear in mind that I am not a LEO required to stop robberies. If i was carrying and dude looked more interested in murder than robbery, that would be a world of suck that would probably end up with me spending the night in jail and having to spend a ton on a lawyer.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

The reason I ask is, my father was a LEO for 35yrs. I presented this question to him and he told me to smoke him. He also informed me that I (can) use deadly force if my life or another life is on the line. I am on the fence on this one. Yes, I could shoot him to protect the life of the clerk, but on the other hand like orangello stated, the legal portion of it. And also having that on my conciense too. Not a big fan of the prison system!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

I think I'd draw and give the option. The scenario as described starts with me in the convenience store. If the guy with the gun was a LEO, he'd have announced himself. Since the scenario didn't include that tidbit, I assume it isn't part of the scenario. Naturally, if he'd announced himself, I would not have drawn.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #5

Yes NO LEO involved at all. Just the 3 of you.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

well if BG already has weapon drawn, your in a bad position....odds of drawing from concealment and getting on target before you get shot is slim, at best!

So me, i would look for an opportunity to present itself. bout all you can logically do.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #7

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Yes, you can use deadly force. However, the DA can prosecute you for it. There can also be a civil suite. The tough part about your scenario is you can't anticipate how the robber will react. If you give them an option they might just start shooting and kill you or the clerk when before he might have just taken the money and left. If you just shoot him he might not be killed on that first shot and same end game.

There are just so many variables.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #8

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Oh please----
Can't ya'll think of a question- give info- discuss a gun- ANYTHING but this crap AGAIN?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2134 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

I agree with a lot of what Balota stated.
Being a close to 30 year retired LEO and 16 SWAT and trainer. There is a lot to consider including the following. First of all an officer would not have seemingly charged or walked in the with a drawn weapon without a present threat. Agency policy also requires an officer to identify himself verbally if a weapon is drawn in a situation as mentioned and to have his or her badge in plain view, or be holding their Police Badge and ID out with the weapon. As stated he would give verbal Identification. He or she would likely not have the gun held to the head of the clerk either. We just do not do that it is generally center mass. If it was an Officer and he saw you he would also ID himself and give you instructions!
If I were to come in on or be in a situation like this. Since the potential bad guy can't keep sight and track two people in different areas. I would move to an area for some cover and then have my weapon ready and on the suspect, followed by the order for the individual to drop the weapon "Now". If he was an officer he would quickly relate the word "Now" as related to law enforcement training! If it was an officer he would advise who he was and show proof. If he turned fast on me with the weapon with no verbal response or ID as nineguy stated "quote" Smoke Him! " As trained" I would do what ever was necessary to eliminate the threat!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

State Laws - Read them, Heed them.

In your scenario, add another person who sees you pulling the gun on the 1st bad guy.

What are they required to do? Smoke you?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT