Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the SCCY CPX-1 9mm good for me? My husband is leaving for ARMY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hard to put a price on your life, or that of your daughter..... don't let cost take priority over dependability. Consider this.......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
I agree with you.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sccy was originally Skky but they were suedby Skky Vodka andwere firced to change to Sccy. The company was started by a former employee of Kel-Tec and are very similar to Kel-Tec. They are lower end semi-decent quality. Personally I would go with a Kel-Tec or a Taurus for the same money.

How much shooting experience do you have? If you don't have any or very much you might want to consider a .38 Special revolver.