Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the SCCY CPX-1 9mm good for me? My husband is leaving for ARMY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is the SCCY CPX-1 9mm good for me? My husband is leaving for ARMY

My husband is leaving for Basic Training, for the Army in a month. He is going to buy me a CPX-1 SCCY 9mm. I am just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this gun. I just want something that is easy for me to handle because I will be by myself and we have a five year old little girl... any feedback would be great we are getting it for $329 which includes two magazines, and 2 holsters (one for my husbands gun, and one for me). Is this a good deal? I just really don't know that much about guns. Thanks for your help....
Thanks,
Mrs. Elms

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally didn't care for it at all. I didn't shoot it but it felt cheap. For $330, you can spend a little more money and get a better weapon such as and XD, M&P. From what I've seen, I would by a Keltech over a SCCY.

Glad to have you here. Please stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Shoot... I've never even heard of SCCY.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
I just looked one up. Looks alot like a Keltec PF9 with a safety.

Why are so many gun companies so interested in the Keltec clone business?
Looked it up online as well. Thought the same thing. Owners of Keltec should really be patting themselves on the back.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2743 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

A couple of suggestions:
1. Get some of your friends and attend a firearms course together.
2. Learn as much as you can about the firearm in your possession.
3. Practice on a regular basis.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Everyone I know that got one of these quickly got rid of it - at a loss. There have even been some threads here on the forum on how prone to breakage these are. Do yourself a favor and avoid this pistol. In this same price range you can get a Kel-Tec PF9 or a S&W Sigma. As a first gun for a new shooter, I'd highly recommend the Sigma and S&W is currently running a $50 rebate. As others have said - get some training and practice as just owning a pistol is not enough...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-24-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #7

I looked into getting one of these and the reviews I read about it not being reliable scared me off.

If you’re not a mechanical person you should get a revolver anyway.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The best thing to do is try some out and see which one fits you the best.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 09-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Jay

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Hard to put a price on your life, or that of your daughter..... don't let cost take priority over dependability. Consider this.......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #10

Check out some revolvers. You will find some quality ones at good prices and many not that hard to shoot and maintain. Had a friend that bought a sccy turned out to be a nightmare. But check out as many as you can before you buy.