Sarge and the wannabe Rambo's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sarge and the wannabe Rambo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Sarge and the wannabe Rambo's

Have you ever pulled a good one on some of these wannabe rambos at the range. You know the type, they show up with black swat team clothes and boots. They have holsters and ammo belts criscrossing their torso. And sacks of loaded magazines. Oh yes they are wearing either a helmet with face shield or a beret. And they would like for you to think they are real police or some black op guys. Well every once in a while Sarge runs across some of these big boys playing cops and robbers and he just can't resist making them look foolish.
This time Sarge was up in Alaska at the Briarwood range east of Ankorage and was trying out a new black powder pistol. A Italian made 3rd generation Dragoon, in 44 cal. Well he was having problems with it. That was expected considering that the temperture as 16 deg. Not good weather to try to light off Pyrodex. (will try FFF Black powder next time) But anyway over a couple benches were three boom bang boom bangady bang bang shooters. They had full size human torso targets only 21 ft. from the firing line. And believe it or not they were missing it and the shots that did hit were shotgun patterns with the snow at the base of the targets taking most of the hits.
When Sarges cap and ball revolver would not go off. (very frequently) they would hoot and holler. Finally when everyone was down checking targets Sarge was looking at their targets.
Said he, "Your problem is you can't shoot fast enough to hit, you need to shoot faster. LOL
It was obvious they didn't approve of Sarge's sense of humor and challenged him to hit the targets with one of their MODERN guns. (they didn't look at Sarge's target but in spite of the problems he was having, he actually had a pretty good group at 25 yards (not 21 ft.) So Sarge smiled and asked "what kind of a gun is this?" (It was a Springfield XD in 9mmL and Sarge knew exactly what it was.) And what is this little doo-hicky on the trigger? What is this sticking out of the handle and other questions a non-gun person or an old foggy would ask. After explaining all the parts of the gun they finally asked Sarge if he would like to shoot the XD ?
"Gee thanks fellows, I would love to, how do you load this contraption?" Heh Heh They quickly produced a couple of magazines already loaded and showed Sarge how to put them in the hole under the gun. Sarge proceeded to wipe out the X ring of the target. (MAN it was only 7 yards away!!) The three of them blinked and then closed their mouths and took a deep breath. One of them said, "Yeah that is pretty easy to shoot, not much recoil. Here try this 45 auto, it is a real gun. You got to be an expert to hit anything with it. "Really?" Sarge replied. "And what is this gun?" Sarge innocently asked of the Colt 1911A1 that he was holding in his hand. They explained that it was a 45 auto and they kick real hard, as much as a 44 mag, they said. And it is real hard to hit anything with it.
"REALLY!" Sarge replied. "Do you put the bullets down in here like the other one?" Sarge let them load the magazine and then moving to another target that had no holes in the black (lots of holes all around it) he wiped out the X ring on that one too. One of the three began to figure maybe they had just been set up, but the other two just said, "That is amazing, you are a natural shooter. You should get into competition."
Sarge chuckled and said," I spent 18 yrs on the Army Pistol Team shooting 45 autos and I am tired of competition. I just shoot for fun now. It takes more than just shooting and wearing cool black clothes to hit the target every time. You need to take a good pistol course by a professional shooter.
Sarge thanked them for letting him shoot their guns and strolled away.
Sarge

11/27/2010

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #2

Default range ''rambo's''

Sir; you just nailed the coffin; as to ''why'' I have issues at range practice.
me aint smart enough to be afraid of a 'hell'of'a'lot''
me is smart enough to know when real danger is 'a'float

More than once; I back away, while standing behind something hahaha I watch, look n listen; while saying my little prayer {no one is to get hurt today prayer}

it is easier; to load my little bit of mess and go; ''compared to them digging more lead outta my corpse"

My being the average shooter; wondering ''what the hell'' just happened hahaha aint good fun hahaha

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7645 Times on 4594 Posts
Likes Given: 9565

Great story. I haven't seen that type of shooter yet. I have only been to a range a handful of times so far, though.

But when I went to visit my friend in California and we went to an outdoor range we brought an Uzi to the range. I had only shot a gun one other time about 10 years ago. My friend shot the Uzi for a while then offered it to me. I shot several rounds then the young man shooting to our left came to look at the Uzi. My friend offered to let the guy shoot and and the young man was so excited. He shot about 5 rounds or so and didn't hit any targets. (We were shooting at metal targets.) I took the gun back, my friend filled the magazine and gave it to me again. I shot at the target at the far left at 35 yards and I hit the target, moved to the second target and got that one, too. This went on for 5 targets in a row until I missed. My friend was behind me laughing. When I laid the gun on the bench I asked him what was so funny. He said not only was that pretty good shooting for such a newbie but he said "Way to go to embarrass that guy." I told him it wasn't my intention to embarrass anyone at all and how did I embarrass him? Friend said "He just shot this gun and couldn't hit a thing then you hit 5 targets in a row." Later that afternoon I hit a 10" target at 100 yards with an SKS. I was hooked, hooked, hooked. Oh, yeah, the SKS had a spike bayonet on it, too, but friend wouldn't let me use it on anything. Otherwise I would have been one of those Wannabe Rambos.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-28-2010 at 10:58 AM.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #4

Default Rambos

Some times I get these mischievious thoughts in my mind and I try to teach young wannabes a lesson. In this case if they had not cat called and hurrahed me about my black powder pistol I would have just went over and gave them some good lessons on shooting pistols. Hoping to get their expertise up to the point that they were not a danger to themselves or others. But the devil came over me and well you know.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
Some times I get these mischievious thoughts in my mind and I try to teach young wannabes a lesson. In this case if they had not cat called and hurrahed me about my black powder pistol I would have just went over and gave them some good lessons on shooting pistols. Hoping to get their expertise up to the point that they were not a danger to themselves or others. But the devil came over me and well you know.
Yep, I do know.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #6

Default Uzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Great story. I haven't seen that type of shooter yet. I have only been to a range a handful of times so far, though.

But when I went to visit my friend in California and we went to an outdoor range we brought an Uzi to the range. I had only shot a gun one other time about 10 years ago. My friend shot the Uzi for a while then offered it to me. I shot several rounds then the young man shooting to our left came to look at the Uzi. My friend offered to let the guy shoot and and the young man was so excited. He shot about 5 rounds or so and didn't hit any targets. (We were shooting at metal targets.) I took the gun back, my friend filled the magazine and gave it to me again. I shot at the target at the far left at 35 yards and I hit the target, moved to the second target and got that one, too. This went on for 5 targets in a row until I missed. My friend was behind me laughing. When I laid the gun on the bench I asked him what was so funny. He said not only was that pretty good shooting for such a newbie but he said "Way to go to embarrass that guy." I told him it wasn't my intention to embarrass anyone at all and how did I embarrass him? Friend said "He just shot this gun and couldn't hit a thing then you hit 5 targets in a row." Later that afternoon I hit a 10" target at 100 yards with an SKS. I was hooked, hooked, hooked. Oh, yeah, the SKS had a spike bayonet on it, too, but friend wouldn't let me use it on anything. Otherwise I would have been one of those Wannabe Rambos.
That little Uzi is a nice fun little carbine. We have one and my son just loves it. I let my neighbor and his son shoot it one time and they were both thrilled. I have a lot of carbines that shoot pistol cartridges and they are fun to shoot.
Sarge

Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
That little Uzi is a nice fun little carbine. We have one and my son just loves it. I let my neighbor and his son shoot it one time and they were both thrilled. I have a lot of carbines that shoot pistol cartridges and they are fun to shoot.
Sarge
When I was first getting to know this friend and he mentioned he had an Uzi, I thought...... I knew nothing about guns and thought he had an illegal gun. Then when he explained to me it's a semi-auto and meets certain criteria and he owned it before the ban in Cali so it got grandfathered in. He knew it would be fun and easy for this newbie to shoot. He also brought the SKS to the range as the Viet Nam war was the war of my era and though I love all veterans, the Viet Nam vets hold a very special place in my heart. Though this friend and I don't talk that much anymore I sure do appreciate him changing my point of view about guns. Truly, I thought they were "killing machines" last year. He taught me they are only dangerous in the hands of dangerous and careless people, just like a car or a kitchen knife. We email each other now and then but don't keep in touch like we used to. I appreciate the new hobby he introduced me to. He recommended to me that my first gun should be a GP100 if it fit my hand. It appears to have been a good suggestion for me. My learning continues..........

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9380 Times on 4044 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Just as a little background- ever play darts? You know- tossing them little spiky things at the target? Feeling good that you hit the target and not the wall? Now go look up the word plumbata.

The plumb part is from the Latin for lead. Iron barbed head darts with a lead weight to increase the range. Used by the Roman army. Hell of a note to be standing on a bit of ground with 200 of those dropping out of the sky.

Point of the disjointed ramble? A lot of things CAN be or HAVE been used as a killing machine. Does not mean that you can't enjoy a friendly game of darts to see who buys the next round, or a day at the shooting range.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Just as a little background- ever play darts? You know- tossing them little spiky things at the target? Feeling good that you hit the target and not the wall? Now go look up the word plumbata.

The plumb part is from the Latin for lead. Iron barbed head darts with a lead weight to increase the range. Used by the Roman army. Hell of a note to be standing on a bit of ground with 200 of those dropping out of the sky.

Point of the disjointed ramble? A lot of things CAN be or HAVE been used as a killing machine. Does not mean that you can't enjoy a friendly game of darts to see who buys the next round, or a day at the shooting range.

C3, believe me, I have been educated. I was terribly misinformed and now I have changed my point of view. Obviously I have since I have bought a gun of my own. My friend explained to me patiently and kindly the error of my thinking. I just didn't know any better and I was uninformed. The example you used is along the lines of all the examples he used.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:10 AM   #10

Default Guns

I guess I was lucky. As a young boy growing up on a farm my Dad taught me all about tools and how to safetly use them. I had my own tractor at the age of 12 yrs and also my own rifle. I was taught that tools can be misused and be dangerous or they can be used safely, the right way and feed your family or keep your vehicles running. We had guns on the farm. One in the barn, one in the back porch behind the door and one on each tractor. They were tools that we used to keep varmints from taking our food, or hurting our livestock.
When I joined the Army and they gave me guns and ammo to shoot I was in hog heaven. And my love of and desire to collect guns was fueled. That was over 200 guns ago. I was also lucky that I married a woman that was not scared of guns and enjoyed shooting them with me. So you know how I raised my kids too.
Sarge