Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Sarge takes on a famous fast draw-Bill Jorden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Sarge takes on a famous fast draw-Bill Jorden

Sarge takes on a famous fast draw, Bill Jorden

It was back in 1970 when Sarge opened up his first gun store and with a new FFL he would get invites to many gun type shows and big meetings sponsored by NRA and various gun organizations. This particular show was in Witchita, Kansas.
Head lining the list of guest speakers was Bill Jorden author of "No Second Place Winner and celebrated Border Patrolman. His fast draw with a S&W Mdl. 19 is legendary. Just getting to see him in person was a once in a life time event. So here arrives Sarge at the front door to the big conference center. Just as he opens the door and steps inside, there is Bill Jorden standing and talking to two other gentlemen. Sarge has never been called bashful so he walks up to the black clad 6'-8" figure and introduces himself. Bill replies, "My name is Bill Jorden" (As if he needed to identify himself). And he turned to the two gentlemen on either side of him and said," This is P.O.Ackley and Bill Ruger." Sarge shook hands all around. Carrying under his arm was Bill Jorden's book and Sarge asked him if he would autograph it for him. In his deep Louisiana drawl he said "Why Shuuurrr," and took Sarges pen and signed his name. Sarge turned to P.O. Ackley and said, "Your name is spoken often in my gun smith school sir. I have already got a list of your improved cartidges that I intend to build for myself." Mr. Ackley asked what cartridges did I have on my list and Sarge replied, "The top of the list is the 257 Roberts Ackley Imp."
"Good" P.O. said "That is one of my favorite. You will enjoy that little shooter. What action are you going to use?" "I have a Chilian Mdl. 95 Mauser that is in real good shape." Sarge replied.
"Perfect" That will make you a nice light easy to carry hunting rifle." said P.O.Ackley. (Sarge still has it)
Sarge turned to Mr. Ruger and told him that the first pistol that he had ever owned was a Standard Model Ruger 22.
"One of our best selling guns. It started our business up and has always paid it's way. I am sure you will enjoy it for many years." Bill Ruger announced. (Sarge still has it too.)

As if this wasn't enough when the show started and it came Bill Jorden's turn to demonstrate his fast and fancy double action shooting, Sarge was lucky and got a front row seat. Bill Jorden gave a little talk about his life as a Border Patrolman and his youthful adventures and hunting trips. Then he got down to what we all were waiting for. His shooting demonstrations. After shooting against a clock and showing on the big dial how fast he drew and fired (blanks that would acoustically stop the clock) His best time was .028 hundreds of a second. Then he asked for some volunteers from the audience. Sarge's hand came up imediately and Bill's eye fell on him. He must have recognised the fellow that he signed the book for and he motioned Sarge up on the stage.
"This was what we are going to do, he told the audience, "First I will empty my revolver and let Mr. ? (Sarge repeated his name), Sarge double check each chamber to make sure it is empty. Because it is going to be pointed right at his bread basket after I finish my draw. Sarge dutifully double checked the S&W Mdl. 19 and declared it empty. "Then," Bill said "Mr. Sarge will hold his hands about 4 inches apart like this, palms facing palms." And what I will do is try to draw and get my revolver between his hands before he has a chance to clap them together."
"OK", Are you ready he said to Sarge and Sarge replied "Yes" and suddenly like magic the S&W was between his palms before he could even think about clapping them.
"Now that wasn't fair," said Bill, I took advantage of him. So I am going to give him another chance." This time Sarge was tensed up and as ready as he ever had been. and when he saw a slight movement of Bill Jordens arm he slapped his hands together. And the revolver ended up only half way between his hands.
"Hummm" Said Bill Jorden, "This guy is faster than I thought. I shouldn't have give him an extra chance. OK This time I am going to really pour on the steam and show him who is the fastest.
Sarge realized that he would never match Bill Jorden's muscle reaction so instead of watching his arm, Sarge watched Bills eyes. When he saw Bill's eyes jerk, Sarge slammed his palms together and the Mdl. 19 hit the underside of his closed palms. The Audience went wild and Bill used all of his showmenship to put on a sad face.
Then after the audience calmed down Bill announced that "This guy is so good that I am going to have him as part of my act." And he had me hold the cartidges and his gun as he set up some balloons and other props such as asprin tablets on a table. (I was actually holding Bill Jordens GUN!) Then he shot the two ballons in a hail of rapid fire and the 4 asprin tablets disappeared in a puff of white smoke. The wax bullets that he was using did their job fast and accurately. Total time was less than a half of a minute. Then came Sarge's turn to be a part of the act. He handed Sarge a blown up balloon (approximently 6" in dia.)and told him to stand by the table. Then he looked at the set up and said "Naaaa that is too easy. Would someone take the table out of the way so we can get the balloon a little further down range." Eager men jumped up on the stage and removed the table. Bill drew a couple of test draws and then shook his head. Naaaaa that is still too easy." Then he walked over to the box that he kept his targets in and pulled out a balloon that was barely 2 inches in diameter. He gave that to Sarge and told him to hold it out as far as he could from his body so he wouldn't hit anything vital in case he missed the balloon. The audience roared! He started to drop his hand down and then he said "Sir, your hand is shaking too much could you bite your lips a little to steady it down. More audience laughter.
And then he drew and fired and the balloon went POP. And that was all there was too it. But Sarge had his 15 minutes of fame and a memory of a great man that will be with him always.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Please tell me you did not actually tell that story in first person but actually have a friend named Sarge.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey edborden, he actaully told it in the 3rd person because he's speaking about himself.

Check out some of this other stories, they are quite entertaining.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The story was good I was just was wondering if that was how he spoke all the time like "jimmy" in that one Seinfeld episode or if was just for enterainment.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

Default Meeting the Greats:)

sarge_257: Sir, keep riding up and down them ''bump dumpy'' dirt roads; Jostling your memory buds. Sir, another good story. We is jealous

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte1 View Post
We is jealous
Indeed we is!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I may not post after one of his always informative and/or entertaining stories, but I always seem to come away from reading one just feeling a little bit better, even if for a very short moment, but they were worth the read.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default speaking

At home because Sarge is only a Sargeant E-7 (Sgt. First Class) and his lovely wife is a 1st. Lieutenant Sarge speaks like this................
YES MA'AM. RIGHT AWAY MA'AM. DISHES ARE DONE AND LAUNDRY IS PUT AWAY MA'AM!
Because it is easier than being tossed in the Guard House. LOL
Sarge the boss of the house.

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge