Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > saftest way to carry a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."
One of my all-time favorite quotes right there Dude...

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #12

Since I am currently in the process of saving up for, and purchasing a Kimber 1911 myself, this thread provided very valuable information! I would also like to thank Canebreak for the LOL of the day.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #13

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

My manual actually warns against carrying with the hammer down. Usually you have a bunch of lawyers writing those books saying not to even load your gun until you shoot. But mine actually says that if carried to be used in a self defense situation it should be carried with a round in the chamber, the hamer back and the thumb safety on.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
My manual actually warns against carrying with the hammer down. Usually you have a bunch of lawyers writing those books saying not to even load your gun until you shoot. But mine actually says that if carried to be used in a self defense situation it should be carried with a round in the chamber, the hamer back and the thumb safety on.
well there you go I would call it unanimous cocked and locked

Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post
I own a couple of 1911s and occasionally shoot one of them out at the range. I don't carry a 1911, primarily due to the weight, bulk, and magazine capacity paucity. If I did carry one of my 1911s, it'd be cocked and locked with a round in the chamber.

I'm pretty sure that 1911s weren't actually designed to be carried cocked and locked. At least, that's not what JMB had in mind, if one refers to the old Army manuals. However, folks that carry 1911s figured out a long time ago that cocked and locked is the best way to carry one.
Are you ever going to make a post without being insulting to those of us that like 1911s? There is nothing on this earth that is "bulkier" than a Glock and nobody can dispute that. If 7+1 rounds of .45 is not enough for you, perhaps you need the capacity for spray & pray...

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #16

Liked 483 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 1619

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Are you ever going to make a post without being insulting to those of us that like 1911s? There is nothing on this earth that is "bulkier" than a Glock and nobody can dispute that. If 7+1 rounds of .45 is not enough for you, perhaps you need the capacity for spray & pray...
I thought the same thing, but if you show him he is getting under your skin...

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.etsy.com/shop/customkicksbycasey

Old 03-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I thought the same thing, but if you show him he is getting under your skin...
I agree the guy is an a$$ and he only posts his crap to pi$$ people off. Best to ignore the turd and he'll go away along with all the other trolls.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post
I own a couple of 1911s and occasionally shoot one of them out at the range. I don't carry a 1911, primarily due to the weight, bulk, and magazine capacity. If I did carry one of my 1911s, it'd be cocked and locked with a round in the chamber.

I'm pretty sure that 1911s weren't actually designed to be carried cocked and locked. At least, that's not what JMB had in mind, if one refers to the old Army manuals. However, folks that carry 1911s figured out a long time ago that cocked and locked is the best way to carry one.
1911's are very thin(single stack,duh), my aluminum frame kimber weighs just28oz unloaded, 8rds of .45cor bon's are more than enough for self defense.

There goes your whole thinking!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #19

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I love my 1911. But sometimes it is too big to be descrete. If I am forced to wear shorts and a t-shirt, I will drop my 38 snubby or a 380 in my front pocket. If I am confident enough with five shots of 38, I feel invincible with 9 rounds of 45 hollow points! I feel like if I can't hit somebody with 5 or 6 shots I don't deserve 15! I think I am going to get a smaller 1911 next. Mine is a full sized model.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I love my 1911. But sometimes it is too big to be descrete. If I am forced to wear shorts and a t-shirt, I will drop my 38 snubby or a 380 in my front pocket. If I am confident enough with five shots of 38, I feel invincible with 9 rounds of 45 hollow points! I feel like if I can't hit somebody with 5 or 6 shots I don't deserve 15! I think I am going to get a smaller 1911 next. Mine is a full sized model.
My thinking as well!