S&W Victory In 38S&W Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W Victory In 38S&W Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default S&W Victory In 38S&W Question

I hope someone can answer this question for sure Was the Victory pistol ever made and issued in a polished nickle plate or chrome finish? My friend just aquired one that has a beautiful chrome finish. The guy he got from is a S&W collector and said Smith made a small amout of guns like this torwards the end of the war. The gun has all matching numbers, shows very little use, has the US government acceptance proof mark (flaming bomb) and US government on the top strap. We know it is a Victory model. When you look at the internals the quality of the chrome job looks like an arsenal job. However I have not found such in the research I've done so far. All I'm finding is Blue, black and parkerized finishes. Hope there is a S&W expert out there who can give us a true answer to this mystery.

smith-victory1.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8741 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Not a S&W expert- it is my understanding that post war S&W produced 86 of the Victory models in nickel (NOBODY makes chromed guns). The SN prefix on those 86 is SV, and the lanyard ring was removed, and a permanent plug placed in the hole.

There are more nickel plated Victory models for sale than S&W ever made. Seems a trip to the plater was popular. The authority of this is going to be S&W- they can tell you how the gun left them.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The characteristic of the Victory Model was its rather rough finish, usually blue or Parkerized. This saved the step of polishing usually done on commercial revolvers in those days.

Bob Wright

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting, thanks c3shooter