Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W sigma/glock question-warning>NOT a bashing thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default S&W sigma/glock question-warning>NOT a bashing thread!

ok 1st off this is not a bashing thread of glocks,im just looking for a lil info..so glock fans can put away the pitch forks and nooses and torches

when i got my sigma last year and read up a lil i read some things stating that the sigma was a S&W copy of the glock at the time in 94(i think)..and im honestly curious how true this is? mines the sw9ve if that is needed info.

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Glock did indeed successfully sue S&W over the Sigma. The Sigmas of old had pretty decent triggers akin to a DA revolver (with a good trigger). The newer Sigmas have God awful triggers akin to a rusty old POS revolver. I have a .40 C and a 9 V. The .40 has about 5000 rounds through it, is VERY accurate and shoots like a dream. The 9 is noticeably heavier trigger. It still shoots very well, but is more difficult to shoot WELL. The grip of the S&W is far superior to the Glock (IMHO), but the Glock has more aftermarket parts availability. I would not give you $300 for a new Sigma, but I would not take $500 for my 40 C.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

A friend ordered a glock 3.5 trigger kit and everything matched up it now shoots a lot better. The main I don't like about new sigma's is the flimsy plastic rod in the recoil spring

Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
The main I don't like about new sigma's is the flimsy plastic rod in the recoil spring
How come ? have you ever seen a broken rod ?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #5

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700 View Post
yes im curious about this as well now that you bring it up

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

No I haven't broken a rod I just don't trust it. It doesn't take much pressure to make it flex.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700

I actually broke the rod on mine. I had disassembled the gun and the piece that holds the spring on the rod flew across the room and when I found it it would not go together w/o flying apart.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

The Sigma I've shot was identical but I've been told that the Sigma has been discontinued and that Smith is going to focus on the more expensive and better quality M&P line so if you see a sigma and want a cheap 40 cal glock like weapon, I'd grab it. I think it sucks though, I'd like to see budget firearms from all the vendors but it seems Smith is returning to a business model for high end firearms (this is opinion, nothing concrete) with the re-introduction of the 586 and stopping the Sigma production it seems.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Look before asking here try to GOOGLE the question . I own both too.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

In january i bouht the sw9ve. 1500 rds through it with no problem. All sorts of ammo and it worked fine. Very accurate once/if u master that long trigger pull. It did however leave small bruises on my right thumb knuckle from the recoil. O did shoot those 1500 rds within 2 months so that could have something to do with it. I recently upgeaded to a G19. IMO Glocks grip is far superior and the recoil is alot less. For financial reasons i had to sell my Sigma.. it was a very gud gun, great for beginners. It cant beat a Glock though, but what can??? Lol to answer your question, yes glock sued and won in the 90's. The guns take down and function are almost identical. G19 does carry better as it is a little lighter and shorter. Hope this helps.