Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W Sigma .40cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default S&W Sigma .40cal

I recently purchased a .40 S&W sigma. I thought this was a solid pistol however, I am somewhat disappointed with it. Guess the main concern is the heavy trigger pull. Hoping a spring replacement will fix it. Has anyone else been let down so to speak with this model of handgun?

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #2

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

I have one. I did a trigger job at home. I removed the pigtail spring and polished the trigger parts. Then I used a spray graphite to lube the assembly. Big difference. Still not my first choice for a competition gun. But I would not hesitate to defend myself with it.

I did not lighten any springs. There are several companies out there offering lighter springs. But they actually lighten the striker. It can make the gun have a weak strike. They are known for misfires after changing springs. I simply removed the pigtail and one of the trigger springs. I still have a heavy trigger. But not like before. And the gritty feeling is completely gone. That was due to the polish and graphite. It felt like there was sand in it before I did that.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #3

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

I actually prefer a heavy trigger pull. A very, very short one, but also very, very heavy. What I call a gentleman's trigger, it takes intention to make its point and does so briefly, understatedly.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have one. I did a trigger job at home. I removed the pigtail spring and polished the trigger parts. Then I used a spray graphite to lube the assembly. Big difference. Still not my first choice for a competition gun. But I would not hesitate to defend myself with it.

I did not lighten any springs. There are several companies out there offering lighter springs. But they actually lighten the striker. It can make the gun have a weak strike. They are known for misfires after changing springs. I simply removed the pigtail and one of the trigger springs. I still have a heavy trigger. But not like before. And the gritty feeling is completely gone. That was due to the polish and graphite. It felt like there was sand in it before I did that.
I did the same thing minus the polishing and it made a pretty big difference. There are videos on youtube on how to do it.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 197

The SIgma started off as a decent platform. Each subsequent version has had a heavier trigger than the previous version. The current crop of Sigma's (VE) have some of the nastiest triggers ever conceived.

I am a big fan of S&W, but they did not do us any favors with the VE series. I have a .40C and a 9V. They work. The C model is extremely accurate and reliable.

For "combat" work or self defense any will work just fine. They have a grip configuration that is hard to beat. The only handguns I have ever fired that felt better in my hands were the CZ 75 and the P-35

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #6

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

I really don't understand what people's problem is with a heavy trigger. Length makes sense, but unless you're a child how is the heft at all an issue?

I guess it comes down to people who shoot to place shots in paper or those who do so to defend their lives...? Oddest thing to me, sincerely

Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I really don't understand what people's problem is with a heavy trigger. Length makes sense, but unless you're a child how is the heft at all an issue?

I guess it comes down to people who shoot to place shots in paper or those who do so to defend their lives...? Oddest thing to me, sincerely
Maybe because a heavier trigger requires more force an maybe even more muscles to pull moving the gun off target. You end up pulling a 2 ish pound object with more force than the gun weighs, again pulling you off target. it takes more thought and muscle power to hold it on target when you end up pulling on it so hard. Of course training makes it easier but still not as easy as a gun with a lighter pull.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

A long heavy pull allows for more mistakes when shooting.

A little polishing and a Wolff striker spring will take it to around something more close to a Glocks 5.5#

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson