Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   S&W Sigma .40cal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/s-w-sigma-40cal-92511/)

xring3 06-19-2013 02:48 AM

S&W Sigma .40cal

I recently purchased a .40 S&W sigma. I thought this was a solid pistol however, I am somewhat disappointed with it. Guess the main concern is the heavy trigger pull. Hoping a spring replacement will fix it. Has anyone else been let down so to speak with this model of handgun?

Rick1967 06-19-2013 03:03 AM

I have one. I did a trigger job at home. I removed the pigtail spring and polished the trigger parts. Then I used a spray graphite to lube the assembly. Big difference. Still not my first choice for a competition gun. But I would not hesitate to defend myself with it.

I did not lighten any springs. There are several companies out there offering lighter springs. But they actually lighten the striker. It can make the gun have a weak strike. They are known for misfires after changing springs. I simply removed the pigtail and one of the trigger springs. I still have a heavy trigger. But not like before. And the gritty feeling is completely gone. That was due to the polish and graphite. It felt like there was sand in it before I did that.

BeyondTheBox 06-19-2013 04:22 AM

I actually prefer a heavy trigger pull. A very, very short one, but also very, very heavy. What I call a gentleman's trigger, it takes intention to make its point and does so briefly, understatedly.

Garadex 06-19-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967
I have one. I did a trigger job at home. I removed the pigtail spring and polished the trigger parts. Then I used a spray graphite to lube the assembly. Big difference. Still not my first choice for a competition gun. But I would not hesitate to defend myself with it.

I did not lighten any springs. There are several companies out there offering lighter springs. But they actually lighten the striker. It can make the gun have a weak strike. They are known for misfires after changing springs. I simply removed the pigtail and one of the trigger springs. I still have a heavy trigger. But not like before. And the gritty feeling is completely gone. That was due to the polish and graphite. It felt like there was sand in it before I did that.

I did the same thing minus the polishing and it made a pretty big difference. There are videos on youtube on how to do it.

robocop10mm 06-20-2013 04:30 AM

The SIgma started off as a decent platform. Each subsequent version has had a heavier trigger than the previous version. The current crop of Sigma's (VE) have some of the nastiest triggers ever conceived.

I am a big fan of S&W, but they did not do us any favors with the VE series. I have a .40C and a 9V. They work. The C model is extremely accurate and reliable.

For "combat" work or self defense any will work just fine. They have a grip configuration that is hard to beat. The only handguns I have ever fired that felt better in my hands were the CZ 75 and the P-35

BeyondTheBox 06-20-2013 04:45 AM

I really don't understand what people's problem is with a heavy trigger. Length makes sense, but unless you're a child how is the heft at all an issue?

I guess it comes down to people who shoot to place shots in paper or those who do so to defend their lives...? Oddest thing to me, sincerely

Garadex 06-20-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I really don't understand what people's problem is with a heavy trigger. Length makes sense, but unless you're a child how is the heft at all an issue?

I guess it comes down to people who shoot to place shots in paper or those who do so to defend their lives...? Oddest thing to me, sincerely

Maybe because a heavier trigger requires more force an maybe even more muscles to pull moving the gun off target. You end up pulling a 2 ish pound object with more force than the gun weighs, again pulling you off target. it takes more thought and muscle power to hold it on target when you end up pulling on it so hard. Of course training makes it easier but still not as easy as a gun with a lighter pull.

DrumJunkie 06-20-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1281352)

A long heavy pull allows for more mistakes when shooting.

A little polishing and a Wolff striker spring will take it to around something more close to a Glocks 5.5#