You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

S&W Serial Number

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W Serial Number

I have a new S&W 4566TSW that I was curious as to the date of manufacturer. The serial number is BDX1XX. Is there somewhere I can go to find this info? I've searched in Google and S&W's website to no avail.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #2

I believe you can find the answer to your question in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Edition. I don't have mine handy to look it up but it has serial numbers by year of production in the back.

Dave

Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1178 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I looked it up in my 3rd ed. Catalog, but can't find a specific date for the BDX preface. Dates of manufacture were 2000-2004.

Nice pistol by the way.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

Thanks for checking into that. Maybe I'll write S&W and see if they can provide some info. It's a sweet looking/shooting pistol and a lucky find since it was NIB. It had been in a warehouse along with probably thousands more similar to it. When I received it from my FFL dealer the blue box was dusty but inside was all new with papers, fired case, lock and three magazines.

S&W Serial Number - General Handgun Discussion

Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #5

I am needing to find out if a gun is register in my name please help where can i find this info

Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12565 Times on 6576 Posts
Likes Given: 26521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang70 View Post
I am needing to find out if a gun is register in my name please help where can i find this info
"Registered?"
That must be something specific to your state. There is no federal registry.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 16136 Times on 6676 Posts
Likes Given: 2632

Ang- rather than tacking on to a 7 year old post, you would be better starting a fresh one.

However, since you asked- tell us what state. Under Federal law, and in most states, there is no "registration" of an ordinary firearm to one person. If you buy a gun from a dealer, you complete a form 4473, which the dealer keeps for 20 years. There at the shop. But there is no master list of who has what gun, and it is actually illegal for the Feds to do that.

So talk to us, tell us what is going on (and where) and we will try to be of help.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #8

Well i have bought 2 s&m guns and a 40 high point while i was with my boyfriend we kept them in his gun case but i broke up with him and he said they stay with him cause they was a gift to him but tbey ate in my name he says he fiiled form out to put in his name i havent seen the form or even signed my name off them he said its all switched over but i dont belive him i need to se how can i check on the serial numbers to see if they still in my name if so i going to the police and report them stolen

Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7520 Times on 4129 Posts
Likes Given: 5866

Did you send in any manufacturer warranty card? Do you have receipts to prove ownership?
And by the way, welcome to the forum. Stop in at the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960

Last edited by Balota; 06-19-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 16136 Times on 6676 Posts
Likes Given: 2632

Ang- like I said- TELL US WHAT STATE YOU ARE IN

In most states there IS no "putting them in your name".

Do you have a receipt showing you bought them? If you bought them from a dealer, and can remember which month and year, the dealer MAY be able to locate the form 4473 you would have filled out at the time of purchase.

Or tell the former BF- this is BS, there is no such thing, return my guns or I report them as stolen, and see you in court. Your choice.