Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W or Ruger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default S&W or Ruger?

Been getting a lot of good help about what kind of handgun I should get. Thought it was narrowed down to a S&W 638 .357 Magnum/.38 special, until I talked to a dealer today. He claimed that the Ruger was every bit as good as the S&W, but half the cost because you're paying for the S&W name. I bow to experience. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #2

as far as revolvers go, smith is the best in MY opinion. Rugers are not terrible at all. A far cry better than a taurus....eeek! the rugers are heavier and chunkier than the smiths and the trigger on a smith is alot smoother. now when you get up in the larger frame gp rugers, the difference isn't as bad. I would suggest a smith & wesson 642 in .38cal. its a small, light j-frame smith that packs a big +p wallop. it has an internal hammer so you can go in the pants pocket with it and not snag the pocket with an external hammer spur. that could be counter productive to your draw. speer golddot has a 135grain (i believe that's the weight) hollow point that was made for the short barrel pistols. it is supposed to perform better with the short guns. 38+p is bad enough in a short barrel revolver, 357 is just brutal. and really the 38 +p is more than adequate to neutralize any threat that happens to come your way. check one of those out, and I always ask one important question to potential customers when it comes to cost....how much is your life worth?

In Valor,
There is Hope.
-Tacitus

Old 02-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is the price difference really that big? I mean, get what you like/want, forget the opinion of the dealer (and me for that matter). Just for the record though, go Smith & Wesson , a Ruger always seemed like a tool you bought at Sears to me.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glen,
Doggone, you keep kicking the ant hill over, first the auto vs revolver debate and now this? Seriously, which ever one (Ruger or smith) fits you best. Both are quality firearms, based off what you have revealed to us about what you want it for in your other posts (not for carry) weight and size are not a great concern.
The only opinion I will offer (not advice , just another unseen face spewing his views) is stay with the 3 or 4 inch barrel length, double action, .357 so you have the option to shoot tame .38s or .38+P or the full .357 magnum. Stay with a 6 shot model (most of the 3-4" bbl guns are anyway) and shoot both the smith and Ruger before you decide.
My personal preference in .357 is Ruger, specifically the GP100 with the half shroud. If you opt for a stainless version, you will have a "bomb proof" extremely low maintenance firearm.
Sounds like we are getting close to a decision! Let us know what you get, I am always like a kid at Christmas when I go through the mental exercise of "what to get next".
Good luck

Old 02-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Based on info from a lot of people, here's what I'm leaning towards. Open to 2nd opninions, just let me know. Thanks for all the input, gang.
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdSpecsView?model=1705

Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #6

I agree with FlintRock, to me the difference between Ruger and Smith is like the difference between Craftsman and Snap-On tools. The price difference is due to the higher quality look and feel. However, the bottom line is they both get the job done. I own several of both brands and I enjoy shooting them all, but I usually carry one of the Rugers in the woods because I'd be less heartbroken if a Ruger got scratched up, dinged or dropped in the mud.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Frank, but for a 1st pistol, I think that reinforces my thoughts about the Ruger. I don't want a weapon that I would put up on a pedestal and admire but be afraid to use. As far as Craftsman goes, I've always been impressed with the way they held up.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glen,
You will mke a good purchase with the stainless GP. I love the Ruger wheel guns, a true get it done, no nonsense firearm that will last forever with a little maintenance.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Ruger uses invesment castings. Smith uses forged steel. Pound for pound, forgings are stronger than castings. Rugers do tend to be thicker and heavier than Smiths but they work. Once you get up to the .44's there is one significant difference, cylinder length. The Ruger cylinder is longer thatn the Smith. If you handload, you can use heavier bullets with more powder in the Ruger because you can load the ammo longer to make room for a heavier powder charge.

The only Ruger handgun I currently own is a Single Six.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Eather will do what you want. I own several of each and personally prefer the single action Rugers for hunting and the S&W for CCW. The S&W`s usually have a smother trigger, but a trip to the smith will fix that. S&W`s also usually cost more, but not after the Ruger has a trigger job. Go fondal both and pick the one that fits you best. My personal choise for CCW is the PD 329 S&W. Most people don`t like to shoot a .44 mag. that wheights abt. the same a the normal .38 SP, but I don`t mind alittle recoil. You get what you pay for and with a trigger job the price will be abt. the same, some if you like the trigger on the Rugers you can save alittle.

Catfish
Ohio