S&W Model 59
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W Model 59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 915

Default S&W Model 59

So i sold my main HD pistol, (a .40 sigma that i really didnt care for) and now am stuck using a old model 59 for home defense. I think its big and uncomfortable and the sights are just "ok". I do like how it operates, almost like a 1911. Anything i can do to make it more comfortable, or make the sights better? Has anybody tried the pachmar grips? Ive read they make it feel like a brick covered in rubber, the last thing i need to do is make the grips any bigger, it barely fits my hand as is.....
As well ive heard this was the first american double stack 9mm, is this true? Also i heard it was a big hit with law enforcement. Any LEO's here ever used one? What did you think of it?

(As you can tell i like to know the history of my guns..... )

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's a pretty solid pistol and it will do the job. Practice enough so that you're comfortable with it. If not, sell it or trade it for something that you'd prefer.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My bro-in-law used to have one. I thought it was fat and unhandy, and was a .45 1911 snob at the time. (I still struggle with that) A couple years ago, my cuz in law gave me a Model 39, the original American crunchenticker. I find that I like it. Feels good, DA trigger's pretty good, shoots pretty good. Might be able to overcome my prejudice against a 59 if somebody gave me one.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #4

Its just my "ina pinch" gun right now, it was my dad's everyday carry piece so it has sentimental value..... Im a ok shot with it, its just kinda big and i cant keep a firm grip on it, not where im gonna drop it, but enough it makes it hard to be accurate with quick shots, i gotta really take my time to be accurate with repeated shots. I would really like a 1911 but the prices are insane......

Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had a Model 59 since the 80's that has been a very reliable pistol.

It is heavy and fat, but not in a bad way . I put some Pachmayr grips on it to control my grip on it while shooting. They make a huge difference for a small investment.

The good thing about the 59 is that you never have to wonder whether it will go bang or hit what you are shooting at.

s-w-59_01.jpg  

Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
I've had a Model 59 since the 80's that has been a very reliable pistol.

It is heavy and fat, but not in a bad way . I put some Pachmayr grips on it to control my grip on it while shooting. They make a huge difference for a small investment.

The good thing about the 59 is that you never have to wonder whether it will go bang or hit what you are shooting at.
So you like the pachmars? They dont look like they make the gun much larger. They do make the gun look sweet though.... there might be hope for this old pistol after all.....

Last edited by Trez; 04-12-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added

Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
So you like the pachmars? They dont look like they make the gun much larger. They do make the gun look sweet though.... there might be hope for this old pistol after all.....
They're really comfortable and help keep the gun pointed straight while shooting. I don't feel like they add any extra thickness to the grip over the stock plastic grips from the factory.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #8

Thanks for the input snake!! Ill give the pachmars a try.....

It just occured to me I havent shown it off yet... I think it used to be a police gun. Its marked "Fresno Co." Any ideas what this could mean?

107_5176.jpg  

Old 04-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

The M-59 was indeed the first double stack American 9mm. I had one back in the late 80's. It worked. The problem is there are not many accessories available for them these days.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #10

Liked 81 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default S&w m59

The S&W M59 was the first successful double stack 9x19 American made pistol, if not the first by any standard. (I can't think of anything else to challenge that claim of 'first', either.) It was a 'development' of the M39. I prefer the 39 as my hands are just small enough NOT to fit the 59.

There is nothing wrong with the 59 as a house gun (presuming one has confidence in 9x19 caliber.) They are reliable in the whole, accurate enough for the task and big enough to mitigate recoil.

"Fresno Co" could signify Fresno County in California. There may be other Fresno Counties as well; I didn't find any in a quick Bing search.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/