Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W mod 1955 chambered in .45 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W mod 1955 chambered in .45 cal

I have been using this revolver with half-moon clips and .45 ACP. Can I use a standard .45 cart. In this piece?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

No.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-22-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

First thanks for your qustion and please stop by the new member introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

I don't know if you can use a standard full moon but they do make them for this pistol (Google is your best friend). I bought some for my 1955 a few yeas ago, I don't recall where I purchased them from and they don't have a makers mark but they do work great. Not the best pictures but you can see they do exisit.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Maybe I misunderstood the question. The OP asked if he could use standard .45 cart. I took that to mean .45 Colt cartridges.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had no idea what a .45 cart meant, good guess at Colt

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

The .45 (long) Colt cartrige will not work in the 1955 revolver.

You can use a cartrige called the .45 Auto Rim.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Right there is why I enjoy this forum, never knew of the .45 auto rim! A bit expensive but if you reload and don't like moon clips here is the answer. I don't shoot my 1955 that often but I am going to invest into some of the auto rim ammo as it will make the times I do shoot it just that much better. I wonder if the brass will fit standard 45 ACP reloading dies, I expect not. Heck I've purchased a few less than norm sets ( 7mmTC & WSM 300) why not add another.

Quote:

Last edited by WDB; 04-24-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Right there is why I enjoy this forum, never knew of the .45 auto rim! A bit expensive but if you reload and don't like moon clips here is the answer. I don't shoot my 1955 that often but I am going to invest into some of the auto rim ammo as it will make the times I do shoot it just that much better. I wonder if the brass will fit standard 45 ACP reloading dies, I expect not. Heck I've purchased a few less than norm sets ( 7mmTC & WSM 300) why not add another.
.45Auto Rim uses .45ACP dies. Shell holder is dif.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."