Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W M&P Shield 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default S&W M&P Shield 9mm

Anyone have any experience, or opinion about this gun. I have been looking at it thinking about adding it as an everyday carry. Currently I carry a Taurus Poly .357, i'd like to have an occasional change.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1644 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I recently bought one after comparing it side by side to a number of other 9mm pistols. I have put 50 rounds of hardball and 50 rounds of XTP through it with no malfunctions using both mags. Very easy to control. It is about 3/8" thinner than my SR9c and a couple oz lighter empty.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 347 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 591

It's a great gun. I prefer my Gen 4 26 but I would recommend the Shield with an Apex trigger kit installed.

NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 110 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I have a shield in 9mm and like it a lot. It has a thumb safety and is very compact...though not enough for pocket carry imo. I have compact 1911 and I prefer the shield by far as I put a premium on comfort. Some talk about the trigger, but I have no complaints with the stock trigger...personal preference I suppose.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
It's a great gun. I prefer my Gen 4 26 but I would recommend the Shield with an Apex trigger kit installed.
Messing with a stock trigger is not a good idea for a carry.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have carried mine most of the summer and have 300ish rounds through it and have never had an issue. I have quite a few carry guns and the shield is staying a few others are going.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Ronald Reagan

Old 08-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 347 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
Messing with a stock trigger is not a good idea for a carry.
LOL!!!! And why is that? Give me reason or proof. I've been improving trigger pulls on duty pistols, carry pistols, competition pistols for years now. Making your stock trigger on a carry pistol is a great idea! Why would you want a crappy trigger on a carry gun?

NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I have a shield in 9mm and like it a lot. It has a thumb safety and is very compact...though not enough for pocket carry imo. I have compact 1911 and I prefer the shield by far as I put a premium on comfort. Some talk about the trigger, but I have no complaints with the stock trigger...personal preference I suppose.
When they first came out, one of the pastors at my church pocket carried a shield, I would never have noticed if he didn't tell me. Granted he is a big man.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The Shield is a great carry gun. Were I to list the 'top 5' carry options on this planet for me, the Shield would be on that list.

I had one, carried it often, and really liked it. I actually sold mine because I preferred the Springfield XDs45. Both are very shootable micros. But I prefer 45acp and consider the grip safety of the XDs a major upgrade over the (somewhat difficult to de-activate) tiny thumb safety on the Shield. The safety was the critical sticking point for me. I had the two of them for a good 6 months and was careful to choose whichever would best suit my needs. But both are great. If not for the XDs, I'd still be carrying a Shield.

Buy a super reliable carry pistol that works for you. Consider the input of others, but don't live by it. We all subscribe to varying demands and expectations.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
LOL!!!! And why is that? Give me reason or proof. I've been improving trigger pulls on duty pistols, carry pistols, competition pistols for years now. Making your stock trigger on a carry pistol is a great idea! Why would you want a crappy trigger on a carry gun?
Great! Sell that to the judge and jury when you get involved in a shooting with an other-than manufacturer's "improved" trigger mechanism.

Common sense is your proof and reason.