Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S & w .460..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default S & w .460..

My Uncle recently bought a S&W 460.. Finally took it to the range. Trigger jammed 3 times in 5 shots. Finally got the casings out and tried a different brand of rounds.. Jammed twice in 3 shots. Shot casings stuck in the cylinder. He took it back to the shop he bought it from and they gave him all of his money back. Good ending..

But dagnabbit, I wanted to shoot that portable cannon too.

Anybody else have this happen ?

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #2

I had an M29 44mag. that always gave trouble ejecting the cases (very hard extraction) with magnum loads. It was better with mild loads, but not magnums. I fought with that revolver for like six years before I decided maybe I should try to polish the chambers. I got a big no on that from the S&W forums, they said I might damage it. They said call S&W and see what they say. So I gave S&W a call, and they said don't do anything, we'll look at it. They sent a prepaid UPS shipping sticker for me to send the gun. I got the revolver back in one week with a new cylinder and no charge whatsoever.
That was some excellent service that I'll never forget.

MotorG20

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #3

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
My Uncle recently bought a S&W 460.. Finally took it to the range. Trigger jammed 3 times in 5 shots. Finally got the casings out and tried a different brand of rounds.. Jammed twice in 3 shots. Shot casings stuck in the cylinder. He took it back to the shop he bought it from and they gave him all of his money back. Good ending..

But dagnabbit, I wanted to shoot that portable cannon too.

Anybody else have this happen ?
I had that happen with 2 brand new S&Ws right out of the box. On the first one on a whim, I took the key out and turned the lock on and then off again making sure it was all the way off and never had a problem after that. Shortly after that when it happened again on another new gun I did the same and it cleared out the problem too. Since then I do that to every new S&W revolver I handle before I ever go to the range with it. No more problems.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Ps. slightly sticky cases in a .460 are not that uncommon specially if you fire .45 Colt or .454 Casulls in it before firing the 460s.

Like in a .357 you should clean out the chambers before switching from shorter to longer cased ammo.