S&W 44 special? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W 44 special?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks everyone - one more. Of these - 38 and 44 special and magnum - what are the relative kicks/recoils?

thanks

Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you've fired a 9mm, that's about what a .38 is like. Very manageable recoil. The .44 special is probably like a .357 or maybe even a bit less. .44 Magnum has the most recoil, but isn't unmanageable.

The rule of thumb is the longer the barrel, the less recoil. I found .44 magnums in my Model 29 through a 6.5" barrel very easy to shoot. In the Model 29 Mountain Gun (4" barrel) it was a bit more snappy.

I'd suggest finding a range that rents guns and trying several calibers and barrel lengths. All of our information can't beat your actual experience.

Good luck with your quest.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with Robo, Look for a S&W 586 or 686, You can shoot 38 spl rounds through it and have minor recoil, much like a 9mm. Then you can shoot 357 mag rounds with a little more recoil but managable with a 4" or 6" barrel. It a solid pistol, should be easy to find one in great shape for a fair price, easy to operate and fun to shoot.

As CA357 mentioned if you can find a range that rents, that is truly the best way to decide what will work for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Take a look at the S&W 581/681...

Jorge, first welcome to FTF, as said stop by the intro. section and let all get to know you. I like most go with the 4" .357Mag. as a starter weapon. I would like to point out another option, in the S&W line. I own a 4" S&W model 681. It is the same as the 686 other than non-adjustable sights. The same can be had in the blued version=581. I am not going to start the debate between fixed sights vs. adjustable sights, but for me the non-adjustable work just fine. These are available on the used market, as retired security guard/armored truck drivers weapons. They are also "L" frame as the 586/686 models. Look into the "K" frame that S&W also has to offer. The cyl is smaller in diameter making it lighter/easier to pack/hide on your waistband. There are a million stories out on the web on K frame vs. L frame. Do some reading on those, and make your own choice. Bottom line-IMO, don't overlook the "L" frame Smiths, with the NON-adjustable sights. PS: Yes the 586/686 have MORE hammer/trigger options-You Old Timers don't slam me...........

Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 09-30-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: PS added.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'd suggest finding a range that rents guns and trying several calibers and barrel lengths. All of our information can't beat your actual experience.
this is good advice.

that being said tho, i'll offer my two cents.

personally i like the .357 mag. you can shoot the cheaper .38 special or .357 magnum so it's versatile, and you get all the power you'll ever need in a revolver in my opinion.

i have an older ruger security six .357 with a 6 in barrel and i love it. it's strong as a tank and a good all around revolver. a lot of folks like te rugers and the s&w's are very good too.

but like the guy i quoted said, your own personal experience is probably the best way to figure out what you want.

good luck...

Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 AM   #16

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I have owned a Charter Arms 44 Bulldog for many years, it hides quite well in a jeans pocket and is very close to 45 ACP for knock dowm power. I probably haven't shot 50 rounds through it but I know it would be great for close quarters shooting. It does pound your hand but if you are in a bad situation it will do the job.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:29 AM   #17

What ever handgun you choose, please get some training and then practice until you are confident in your skill and ability. The real weapon is you, the gun is just a tool.

Dave

Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 AM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
If you've fired a 9mm, that's about what a .38 is like. Very manageable recoil. The .44 special is probably like a .357 or maybe even a bit less. .44 Magnum has the most recoil, but isn't unmanageable.

The rule of thumb is the longer the barrel, the less recoil. I found .44 magnums in my Model 29 through a 6.5" barrel very easy to shoot. In the Model 29 Mountain Gun (4" barrel) it was a bit more snappy.

Good luck with your quest.
I totally agree.

I am bias towards .357 though.

OC