Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > S&W 44 special?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 44 special?

Folks"

Looking for your advice. I'm looking for a handgun for general household protection and plinking . I prefer a rveovler. Thinking about a S&W 44 special or 357 special or mag.
May I have your comments re. +'s and_'s?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum, JorgeLobo. Since I have no idea of your experience with firearms, I will offer what I would do.

I would look at revolvers in .357 mag that also shoot the .38 special. There are many out there that are very functional. Plink with the .38's and protect with the .357 mags. That is just my opinion.

Perhaps if you go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself and your experience, you may find some other members with different opinions.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2552 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

IMHO any collection of handguns must start with a good 4" .357 Mag revolver. They are simple, powerful, reliable, and versitile. Light specials for practice and plinking. Heavy magnums for deep penetration on large targets and everything in between.

S&W 586/686 are very good revolvers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
IMHO any collection of handguns must start with a good 4" .357 Mag revolver. They are simple, powerful, reliable, and versitile. Light specials for practice and plinking. Heavy magnums for deep penetration on large targets and everything in between.

S&W 586/686 are very good revolvers.
I agree 100%. A good 4" .357 is a must in any firearm collection, you can shoot quite a few different types of ammo and it's cheaper to feed than a .44.

I would go with either a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #5

Thanks guys - fyi I'm an Army vet and a member of NRA. Was pretty experinced but haven't owned a firearm for decades ( scares the old lady).
My town (Cincinnati) and the surrounding county are broke and financial cuts have severly limited prosecution of criminals and forced realease of crowds of felons. (no need to mention the social programs that are maintained as well as funding of a new "Green" city dept - think very liberal city council majority).

So I feel the need to get some household protection. I'll try the weapons at a local sotre/range so thanks for the suggestions.

One more - my inclination is S&W and txs for the Ruger sugestion but what are the best makes?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLobo View Post
One more - my inclination is S&W and txs for the Ruger sugestion but what are the best makes?
You can't go wrong with either brand, they both make excellent revolvers. S&W offers a few more models in .357 than Ruger (including seven shot guns, etc.) and the double action trigger pull is usually a bit better out of the box, but that's something that can be easily fixed with a cheap spring replacement and by shooting the gun often. Rugers are really tough, and although I love my Smiths I find the cylinder release on the GP100 more convenient than the one on my S&W 686. Try them out if you can, go with whichever you find more comfortable.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

I really like the .44 S&W Special, and have two guns dedicated to them, as well as a S&W Model 29, which also shoots the lower-power special loads.

I walk a lot in the woods around our home, in which copperheads abound. I carry CCI snake loads in my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug and .44 Special SafeStops in my S&W 296. The SafeStops are my protection against rabid skunks and two-legged predators. A neighbor told me he came upon a marijuana growing operation in the woods - near where I walk - some years before we moved here. It's unlikely this will happen again, but...

Tasha, the family mutt who accompanies me on these walks, tangled with a skunk last year. The polecat scuttled away before I could draw the Pug, which is just as well, as the stink a kill here would have created might have put the entire trail off limits for the rest of the season. A rabid critter, however, well, that's something else.

I like the .44 Special because of the bullet's size and accuracy. I have several .357s, but the .44 is my handgun of choice in the event of a home invasion. My weapon of choice for such prospective encounters is my Rossi 12ga Overland coach gun.

Check out: GUN FRIENDLY

Last edited by Clark Kent; 09-25-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: adjust font size

Old 09-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'll recommend the .357 for the reasons already mentioned. I have a 4" Ruger GP100, but have had a number of Smiths. For .44's, I really like the S&W model 29 and have had a couple, including a Mountain Gun. I prefer the capability of using either .44 special or magnums.

For a .44, I prefer the Smith over the Redhawk strictly because it just feels better to me. FWIW, I use Pachmayr finger groove grips on all my revolvers.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2552 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I am a S&W man but the Ruger GP-100 is a good solid revolver. I voted 686 because there are good clean used ones on the market that will serve well for many years. I also like the .44. I have two but think the .357 is the best starting point. Get the .44 later as it is worth owning also.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #10

I am a real big fan of the 44spl. Makes 44cal holes but is controllable.

אני חרב משפחתי,
ומגן עמי,
אם ישלחוני - אמחץ כל דבר שבניתם
אשרוף את כל אהבותיכם,
ואהרוג כל אחד ואחד מכם

EliteAmmunition