Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Rust Removal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/rust-removal-1668/)

IceNine 08-13-2007 03:44 PM

Rust Removal

I have a bunch of old handguns that have been sitting around a long time and they are covered with rust, what do you use to get the rust off your gun?

RONSERESURPLUS 08-13-2007 07:50 PM

Rust Removal on guns?

Hello all

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

Your question is one fraught with a lot of issues? If the rust on the guns you have is a light, what I like to call "Feather rust" it usually wipes off with your fingers, your job will be easy, I recommend useing cheeze cloth soaked with any light machine oild and wipe the surface rust coat off till you can see the nice deep blue under that thinn coat?

Now, for most guns that have been allowed to rust, it's past that stage, remember Rust is simply red, and Blue is simple Blue rust? If the rust on the pistold has pitted the surface or gotten in deep, you have a lot of work ahead of you! At times you can use the same method I just described but use like 6 zero steel wool soaked with oil and get the rust to come up, it might and probably will degrade the blue color some, but that can't be avoided? If the rust is deep and pitted, you will have to remove all the old blueing (Not a feat for a beginner) and re-blue the gun! If they are older, collector guns, that will destroy thier collector value!

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the best way to aviod all this mess is to keep them up and not let them get that way? In most cases, they are given to us, leant to others or someone in your family does this to ya? In some cases we do it ourselves? In each case, look to how bad, how deep and if pitting of the metal is present, if so, you have a mess on your hand, a "Smith" worthy of that title can bring them back up to near what they were unless pitted and destroyed, but it will not be cheap, it will not be easy, nor will it be quick!

Dgunsmith 08-25-2007 03:03 PM

Kroil

www.kanolabs.com

the best rust desolver on the market. Not sold in stores byt used commercially by everybody from GM FORD to plumbers and gunsmiths.

NOTHING like it !:eek:

cnorman18 08-25-2007 09:15 PM

Gun lubricants?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgunsmith (Post 7207)
www.kanolabs.com

the best rust desolver on the market. Not sold in stores byt used commercially by everybody from GM FORD to plumbers and gunsmiths.

NOTHING like it !:eek:

Looks like some of these might make good gun lubricants. Any advice there?

Dgunsmith 08-26-2007 12:39 AM

Lubricant :

Use what they use in the SAND WORLD....the best of the best, beat everybody else in Federal Govt/Military tests :

MILITEC !

We use on guns, machineguns, in our compressors, mills and lathes...
it rocks !

www.militec1.com

best stuff on the market.PERIOD !:D

cnorman18 08-26-2007 02:04 AM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgunsmith (Post 7239)
Use what they use in the SAND WORLD....the best of the best, beat everybody else in Federal Govt/Military tests :

MILITEC !

We use on guns, machineguns, in our compressors, mills and lathes...
it rocks !

www.militec1.com

best stuff on the market.PERIOD !:D

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a 4 oz. bottle.

zcorrlover 06-04-2010 09:27 PM

Preventing Gun Rust

Hey, there's a great product called ZCORR that prevents firearm rust and corrosion for up to 20 years! (if you've already got rust on your gun, you're on your own). Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who wants to avoid this mess of having to clean rust off a gun.

AK_ID 06-04-2010 09:46 PM

The prevention part is sure a lot easier than the cure.

stalkingbear 06-05-2010 02:27 AM

Use the oil of your choice and rub vigorously with 0000 steel wool. If it removes the bluing then the rust was past that (deeper) anyway.

CHLChris 06-05-2010 02:53 AM

I had a horrible mishap in my gun safe a few months ago. As I was pulling something out, I knocked over one of those DriZAir pellet bowls I had on the top shelf. The liquid inside is some sort of acid, apparently, and got everywhere.

1) It doesn't soak up in paper towels.
2) It doesn't dry on its own, but actually gets worse when it's allowed to sit.

3) It rusts guns. My shotty has never been the same since.

I now use these:

Hydrosorbent Silica Gel Desicant 40 Gram (Protects 3 Cubic Feet) Aluminum Canister - MidwayUSA