Ruger's LCP .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger's LCP .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger's LCP .380

My wife saw the promo video for the LCP .380. I know it's only been out since March but, If anyone has had the chance to fire this little pistol, I'd like to know what you thought of it. There is currently at least a month long waiting list in my area so I haven't even been able to handle one.... much less shoot one. Even if I had the chance to fire one, there's not a gun shop in my area that has a range. And my local range is shoot what you bring. No rentals or anything.
Just curious of what y'all thought of it if you've fired one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehammer View Post
My wife saw the promo video for the LCP .380. I know it's only been out since March but, If anyone has had the chance to fire this little pistol, I'd like to know what you thought of it. There is currently at least a month long waiting list in my area so I haven't even been able to handle one.... much less shoot one. Even if I had the chance to fire one, there's not a gun shop in my area that has a range. And my local range is shoot what you bring. No rentals or anything.
Just curious of what y'all thought of it if you've fired one.
Yes sir,

I have fired the LCP many times. It's OK. Although, it's not any better than a Kel Tec P3AT. The LCP is a bit more expensive, and a little heavier than the Kel Tec P3AT. Neither one is "fun" to shoot, but they both serve their purpose. I carry a P3AT in my pocket, and that's about all these guns are good for.

I don't think it will matter which one you get...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #3

my local gun shop has had 2 LCP's come back to them because of a broken part(the same part on both). I'll have to find out the whole story. I'll let yuze guys know.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
my local gun shop has had 2 LCP's come back to them because of a broken part(the same part on both). I'll have to find out the whole story. I'll let yuze guys know.
I heard the same thing from my local shop. I have no idea what the problem is... But if I had to guess, the ejector spring probably broke.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #5

Trigger broke on the 98 th round fired, on the way back to ruger.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I heard the same thing from my local shop. I have no idea what the problem is... But if I had to guess, the ejector spring probably broke.
I believe it was part of the barrel. IIRC there's a little blocky protrusion above (and to one side I think) the ramp, and part of that protrusion was breaking off. Like I said I'll try to get more info.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:13 AM   #7

I made it past 98 rounds today, shot two boxes of FMJ target ammo. Little beast shot great. Snappy and sharp recoil, but not outrageous. ANother day like today with some SD rounds, and I will call her good.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will never understand why people clamor for a chance to pay full retail on a Ruger copy of a gun that Kel-Tec has already spent at least 7 years and god knows how much money making work properly. BTW anyone familiar with Ruger's last great invention, the SR-9? anyone like to guess how much money having to recall every one made can be costing Ruger? My guess is someone very important in the company has either croaked off or been fired. I would not trust my life to any newer Ruger product. Used to be a company spent a small fortune testing their product before it was dumped onto the market. Ruger has shown they won't bother doing this. Why would I trust a company who thinks I'm a moron?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I will never understand why people clamor for a chance to pay full retail on a Ruger copy of a gun that Kel-Tec has already spent at least 7 years and god knows how much money making work properly. BTW anyone familiar with Ruger's last great invention, the SR-9? anyone like to guess how much money having to recall every one made can be costing Ruger? My guess is someone very important in the company has either croaked off or been fired. I would not trust my life to any newer Ruger product. Used to be a company spent a small fortune testing their product before it was dumped onto the market. Ruger has shown they won't bother doing this. Why would I trust a company who thinks I'm a moron?
Sturm Ruger is no longer with the company. When he left, quality went along with him.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
I will never understand why people clamor for a chance to pay full retail on a Ruger copy of a gun that Kel-Tec has already spent at least 7 years and god knows how much money making work properly.
Kel-tec was the same price as my LCP. Same store, side by side. The LCP looked better, felt like a better built gun, and fit my hand the same (go figure). They wouldn't let me fire either in the store so I had to make my best choice. Better fit and finish, no brainer.