Ruger p89
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger p89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger p89

I have a ruger p89. Never had any problems with the gun till yesterday. I was shooting and it locked up. I took the gun to a gun smith and he said my barrel had a bulge on the outside. He put it on a lathe and shaved it down a bit. He said it was safe, but I want to buy a new one so I don't have to worry about my wife shooting it (this is her home defense gun). Anybody know where to find a replacement barrel?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brownells sell most parts EXCEPT the barrel. You may have to contact Ruger about your request.

(EDIT) I did a bit more digging into Brownells site and find that they do offer some pistol barrels from other manufacturers. You can give that a look when you have time.

Last edited by TimKS; 08-20-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

NUMRICH

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

FYI- They are great to buy NEW stuff from--
USED is sumtimes iffy--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Contact Ruger. You may be surprised at how well they treat you.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Contact Ruger. You may be surprised at how well they treat you.
THIS....Ruger will offer to send you a barrel, or if you call them, they will send you a pre-paid shipping box, and replace it for free. If you don't put magazines in the box...they will send you a couple for free!

I bought a P90 .45 used (awesome deal $200). It had a busted extractor. I called Ruger to order the part. They sent be a shipping box and asked that I send it to them, this is even after I explained I bought it used and pre-broken. They said no problem.

When they returned it 10 days later, it had ben repaired, polished all over, new grips installed (the old ones were scratched to hell) and there were three magazines in the box!

That is awesome customer service.

Last edited by ArizonaLawman; 08-20-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman

THIS....Ruger will offer to send you a barrel, or if you call them, they will send you a pre-paid shipping box, and replace it for free. If you don't put magazines in the box...they will send you a couple for free!

I bought a P90 .45 used (awesome deal $200). It had a busted extractor. I called Ruger to order the part. They sent be a shipping box and asked that I send it to them, this is even after I explained I bought it used and pre-broken. They said no problem.

When they returned it 10 days later, it had ben repaired, polished all over, new grips installed (the old ones were scratched to hell) and there were three magazines in the box!

Thanks for the help guys. I'll get in touch with them next week. Do you think there will be a problem since a gunsmith put it on a lathe and took it down?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I'll get in touch with them next week. Do you think there will be a problem since a gunsmith put it on a lathe and took it down?
I seriously doubt it. They fixed a pre-broke gun for me.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
I'm a little surprised a smith would do that, seems that bulge happened for a reason and rurning it down didn't fix the actual issue.

Make certian to tell Ruger the barrel was turned down by a smith up front. I doubt it will be an issue.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB

I'm a little surprised a smith would do that, seems that bulge happened for a reason and rurning it down didn't fix the actual issue.

Make certian to tell Ruger the barrel was turned down by a smith up front. I doubt it will be an issue.
Well the gunsmith inspected the barrel inside and out. He said the inside of the barrel was fine. I asked if it would be safe because this is my wife's home defense gun of choice (over a shotgun with pistol grip). And he said it would be safe but not accurate for target shooting. And I told him that I would be finding a new barrel soon. So he did it.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman

Well I just was in contact with ruger. The lady told me I would have to pay shipping to them and they would determine if it was a manufacturing defect and it was ok that the gunsmith had already turned it down. But if it was a defect they would cover shipping cost. We'll see what happens. I'll mail it later today.