Ruger MKIII 22/45 first impressions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger MKIII 22/45 first impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 581 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Ruger MKIII 22/45 first impressions

I picked up my new toy Saturday Ruger MKIII 22/45 and after taking it home and giving it an initial cleaning, took it to the range Sunday.

Let me preface this by sayin, I purchased this after shooting my brother-in-laws Ruger MKII several weeks prior and had a blast. Easy to shoot, just plink away and regardless of current .22lr prices, much cheaper than my other calibers.

Fit, finish and features - The gun is amazingly well made. Fit and finish is very clean, seamless. Everything operates as it should albeit a bit tight as most new guns tend to be. The metal bluing is perfect and mine came with (why I ordered this model) some pretty nice handgrips that are changeable.

The kit comes with a nice case (plastic form inside, not padded) that includes

• The gun
  • 2 Ten round magazines
  • An accessory rail kit in case you want to mount a red dot or some such
  • A padlock
  • Instructions
My one gripe on construction which really came to bear at the range was the magazines. They have a knob on the side that allows you to move the spring down so you can load the cartridges easier. In fact, its seems to be the only way to load as it is really not designed to pop them in 1 at a time by pressing them in like other mags. Perhaps you can but I couldn't.

The issue is if you pull it down and load the 10 rounds, the spring doesn't seem to want to pop back up. Take them out, move the knob up and down, its fine. Load it up, try the same, it sticks. So I lubed them thoroughly and off to the range.

The range
I was so looking forward to a good range shoot. Little did I know it was an effort in angst and frustration. The problem, again being how the magazines fed. If I could get it to pop back up and provide tension, the gun would work fine. Otherwise, I could not chamber a round. Drop the mag, play with it a bit, etc. The resolution would not come until later when I decided to dismantle and glean the entire gun. Suffice it to say, at the range, I am lucky if I sent 40 rounds down range. Felt good but was set to do about 150.

Striping, Cleaning and magazine issue resolution
The Ruger 22's have a reputation as being a pain to dismantle and re-assemble. Just check out the net and Youtube videos. It lived up to its reputation but only if you don't follow directions. The process is rather draconian but I give Ruger credit for providing step by agonizing step in the manual - and it really works.

You will be frustrated the first time and after that, you will always know how to take it apart. Follow the GUIDE, not the Youtube videos. Models vary too much.

Cleaning was very easy and I cleaned and lubed with my favorite, FrogLube. I also Froglubed the hell out of the magazines hoping that was the issue. Inside and out.

Loaded the mags, released the spring knob, stuck. Ugg. remove the rounds, did it again, same issues, over and over. Until I read the manual and discovered something. It said make sure the rounds are aligned. "Hmm...why wouldn't they be".

To make a long story short, when loading the rounds, you should hold the magazine top back pointed at 2 o'clock. Why? Because now all the rounds are resting against the back portion and releasing the spring knob allows them all to flow UP evenly. It appears that before, the fronts where causing the rounds to be misaligned and jamming. Not really a smart design and a really big pet peeve.

They designed a beautiful gun and the mags are metal - not plastic -but how do you miss the boat on loading and applying tension ?

In summary
Definitely worth getting one and having some fun. It is dead on accurate, no recoil to speak of and just nice to have in the gun back. It is also a good, cost effective 1911 .45 trainer as that is what it is designed for.

It gets a 8.5 out of 10 from me losing a lot of ground due to the mags.

Stock picture (haven't photo'd mine yet)

kNOB IS ON OTHER SIDE

note the magazines

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

very well written review.

i bought one just like it a couple of years ago and absolutely love mine. very well made and much more accurate than i'm capable of. very fun pistol to shoot. i have now exceeded several thousands of trouble-free rounds through mine.

my only regret was not having bought one of these Ruger pistols many years ago and all the fun i missed out on.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

Liked 1872 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 1419

Get yourself a magazine ‘loader’ or use a bottle cap or something to save your thumb. I still need to whack the barrel to get it off and on. I have the Speed Strip installed and it makes basic cleaning SO much easier. It IS dead on accurate.

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I shot my dads MK II a few months ago and completely agree that it is a ton of fun. And my only issue was loading the mags

Beretta PX4 9mm compact
Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox

Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2619 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

Nice review. A couple of comments. This model takes me 10 seconds to take apart and 30 seconds to reassemble. I own two currently. This is no bravado. My very first Ruger 22 I took to a dealer and sold disassembled. I could not take it anymore. Then got better.

The magazine was designed back in the 40's. The metal follower button rubs against a metal cutout with sharp edges. A modern polymer would do much nicer, but it is what it is.

Greasing the mag will help only briefly. Those mags have to be absolutely straight and even. One little burr or bend, and here we go, it's a PITA. They also like to rust. So grease them for storage, not for shooting. For shooting, instead, give your box of 22 LR a puff of remoil. Just one. They will feed easier.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 165 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Love my plinker....

File Type: jpg photo (2).jpg (29.3 KB, 70 views)

Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #7

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
.....My one gripe on construction which really came to bear at the range was the magazines. They have a knob on the side that allows you to move the spring down so you can load the cartridges easier. In fact, its seems to be the only way to load as it is really not designed to pop them in 1 at a time by pressing them in like other mags. Perhaps you can but I couldn't.

The issue is if you pull it down and load the 10 rounds, the spring doesn't seem to want to pop back up. Take them out, move the knob up and down, its fine. Load it up, try the same, it sticks. So I lubed them thoroughly and off to the range.

Loaded the mags, released the spring knob, stuck. Ugg. remove the rounds, did it again, same issues, over and over. Until I read the manual and discovered something. It said make sure the rounds are aligned. "Hmm...why wouldn't they be".

To make a long story short, when loading the rounds, you should hold the magazine top back pointed at 2 o'clock. Why? Because now all the rounds are resting against the back portion and releasing the spring knob allows them all to flow UP evenly. It appears that before, the fronts where causing the rounds to be misaligned and jamming. Not really a smart design and a really big pet peeve.
As Mercator mentioned above, one thing you can do to improve the magazines is to disassemble them and de-burr the slot in the side of the mag bodies that the "button" rides up and down in. Out of the box they usually have some burrs, and the extremely sharp edges catch on the button and stop the movement of the magazine follower. You may need to smooth up the groove in the button as well.

Then do yourself a huge favor and buy yourself an "Ultimate Clip Loader". http://www.amazon.com/McFadden-Machine-Ultimate-Clip-Loader/dp/B004YF931Y

When properly lubed and adjusted it takes me all of 2 SECONDS to fully load a 10 round magazine. And that's not an exaggeration.

I prefer to spend more time pulling the trigger than loading magazines.

Last edited by Highpower; 07-22-2014 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Accidently posted too soon - fat fingers....

Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
hmh

Liked 157 Times on 109 Posts

Get a tandom cross magazine disconnect. After you take it apart a few times the takedown becomes a lot easier.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Just about every 22 Semi Auto pistol mags have feeding issues, our Buckmark's mags do the same thing,..and they. "warp " easy

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 581 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Nice review. A couple of comments. This model takes me 10 seconds to take apart and 30 seconds to reassemble. I own two currently. This is no bravado. My very first Ruger 22 I took to a dealer and sold disassembled. I could not take it anymore. Then got better.

The magazine was designed back in the 40's. The metal follower button rubs against a metal cutout with sharp edges. A modern polymer would do much nicer, but it is what it is.

Greasing the mag will help only briefly. Those mags have to be absolutely straight and even. One little burr or bend, and here we go, it's a PITA. They also like to rust. So grease them for storage, not for shooting. For shooting, instead, give your box of 22 LR a puff of remoil. Just one. They will feed easier.
So glad to hear the mags are not ME...lol..Like I was missing some trick...I do notice that as I said, if I tip it back, the rounds align better...

IT IS a fun gun though...and I think it would make a great teaching gun when introducing someone to shooting the first time. Easy on them rather than "Here's my .45..."

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain