ruger makrk iii hunter series
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > ruger makrk iii hunter series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default ruger makrk iii hunter series

So i am looming at getting my first gun and i went to the local range and rented the ruger mark iii hunter series with 5" barrel. I also got a 235 countbox of winchester ammo from the range. I noticed the gun jamming a bit it seemed like it was having problems chambering the rounds as well as not ejecting the casings correctly. I am confused by this because ive heared so much good about the ruger mark series ability to chew through ammo with out much issues. So my question is was it user based ammo based or weapon based issue.

Any input would be grealty appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7397 Times on 4447 Posts
Likes Given: 9160

I think it might be the Winchester Ammo. Try Federal. I highly doubt it was the Mark III.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think it might be the Winchester Ammo. Try Federal. I highly doubt it was the Mark III.
Unless it hasn't been cleaned.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #4

I had some issues with my mark ii with some recent winchester. I had run in tons of time but the most recent box i had gotten had feeding issues changed ammo and back to normal

Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7397 Times on 4447 Posts
Likes Given: 9160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
Unless it hasn't been cleaned.
Ah, you might be right. I just noticed it was a rental gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccinstaller View Post
I had some issues with my mark ii with some recent winchester. I had run in tons of time but the most recent box i had gotten had feeding issues changed ammo and back to normal
I have read Winchester isn't the best 'cheap' ammo. I use Federal in the red, bulk box and I've not had any problem running it through my Mark II.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A range rental gun may not have been cleaned in recent history and has probably seen some pretty rough use.

Ruger Mark III's get consistently great reviews. If you like the rental gun when it shoots, then you'll probably enjoy owning a new one yourself and won't likely have the problems you are experiencing with the rental.

Years ago, my Browning 22 semi auto would fail to chamber a round now and then, especially if ripping off a few really fast (round would lodge cockeyed as it entered the chamber). $20 and a gun smith with a file fixed it. Since then, there's been thousands of the 500 economy rounds to the box 22 LRs put through it and I can't remember the last time it jammed.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was a combination of the gun being extremely dirty and possibly the ammo. That being said when the gun wasnt jamming it was great. I really enjoyed it and i probably will be going with that for my first gun purchase.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will venture a guess here, possibly because it was a rental and not cleaned properly, if at all and the ammo could have not been a good performer for that pistol. guns can be finicky sometimes with the ammo they like. if your are wanting to buy the ruger Mark III, i say go for it. i bought a Mark III 22/45 target model several months ago and have fed at least 3000 rounds through it with no problems and only a detailed cleaning after every 500 rounds. buy the Mark III and take care of it, and you will be happy with it. i know i am.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #9

Thats what i figured when i gave the gun back to them they just stuck it back in the case and i wasnt sure about the ammo aswell. I will still get it and take better care of it. The replies here have aleveiated my concerns

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5811 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

the biggest issue with mark3 having jamming issues is the loaded chamber indicator. once you get around 500 rounds through it has to be cleaned. after that the the chances of frequent jamming goes up.

i cured mine of that by disabling the loaded chamber indicator. ive got around 5000 rounds through mine so far without cleaning no fte/ftf other than a few duds using remington 22lr. i run a LOT of ammo through my 22s. when i first got my mk3 i shot it for 1500 rounds stock and towards the end it was having massive ftf issues. once i operated on it its been super reliable.

since its a range gun its liekly just extremely dirty as ive never seen a properly cleaned or lubed range gun.

22lr are one of the exceptions when evaluating by rentals.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-13-2011 at 10:01 PM.