Ruger M95 stovepipe - limp wristing?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger M95 stovepipe - limp wristing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger M95 stovepipe - limp wristing?

A friend of mine just started shooting handguns. He bought a Ruger M95 in 9mm. He seems to have a lot of problems with stovepipe jams. He has had the gun looked at at least twice. I did notice last time we all were shooting that when larger more experienced shooters would try his pistol, it worked flawlessly.

I read somewhere if the shooter's grip was loose, some of the mechanical energy is absorbed and the ejection doesn't work as well. As I said before, he is new to shooting and doesn't handle recoil very well. Could this be poor shooting technique on his part?

How can I help him?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think you mean a Ruger P95?

Well, if it works fine for everyone but him, I would agree he is the issue and not the pistol. Sounds like he is limpwristing.

Have a more experienced shooter teach him proper grip, trigger press, and shooting technique. Either that or trade it for a revolver.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Don View Post
A friend of mine just started shooting handguns. He bought a Ruger M95 in 9mm. He seems to have a lot of problems with stovepipe jams. He has had the gun looked at at least twice. I did notice last time we all were shooting that when larger more experienced shooters would try his pistol, it worked flawlessly.

I read somewhere if the shooter's grip was loose, some of the mechanical energy is absorbed and the ejection doesn't work as well. As I said before, he is new to shooting and doesn't handle recoil very well. Could this be poor shooting technique on his part?

How can I help him?
I'm not a P95 shooter, but he may have to look at putting in a reduced power recoil spring. There is a small margain of error on recoil spring power for self defense handguns--you don't want one too strong that it malfunctions with a limp wrist--in self defense you may be shooting weak handed, injured, etc.--yet you don't want something so light that it beats up the gun. I would suggest he goes to one or two pounds under his current spring rate and see if that fixed the problem.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Be cautious about putting a reduced power recoil spring as it can be tough on the frame. Basically, your friend just needs to grip the gun firmly and "resist" the recoil with a bit of arm strength...