Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP

Hello all,
Took the wife to the local gun shop today to have her fondle a few guns. Doing some early research for a Christmas gift. This gun will be for her to conceal carry. She liked two guns more than all the others, the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP. She liked the TCP just a little bit more ergonomically, but I'm not too sure about the Taurus name. Everything I've read about them suggests that Taurus' quality control is sketchy at best. I've read good things about the LCP, but have not read anything about the TCP. What are the opinions of both these guns? Will either perform better than the other?

Also, we don't have a range near us (at all, actually) that rents guns, so we'll be buying without shooting, hence the questions. Hopefully someone here has shot both guns and can give some good opinions one way or the other.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

We are not too happy with my son's Taurus right now. It seemed to have a bettter trigger and feel at the gun shop and fed pretty well right out of the box. However, he commented that it started ejecting the shells over his head and I took it out. It did in fact eject them right over my head and in fact one smacked me on top of my head.. Anyway it also had a few ftf's that day as well.

He is strongly considering trading it in but will probably call Taurus first. I am not expecting much help from what I've heard.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP - General Handgun Discussion

Get the Ruger! I have the Elsie Ahrrrr and it is one of my favorites.

Ruger LCP vs. Taurus TCP - General Handgun Discussion

If you are familiar with the "stacking" issue of the DA revolver's trigger you will be impressed with the Ruger LCR's new cam action trigger. It is THE BEST DA trigger I have ever pulled!

DO NOT get the Crimson Trace grips! Your wife will shoot it once and put it away. Make sure you get the LCR with the (less expensive) Hogue "Tamer" grip. The grip makes this 13.4 oz revolver manageable. (In .38 spl, I haven't shot the new .357 mag version yet. I'll bet its a hand full!)

I'm sure that many more Elsie Ahrrrr owners will be along to echo my praise of this little beauty.

Put the Taurus down and step away from the gun. You will be much happier with the Ruger. Because you know she won't be dealing with Taurus Customer Service, you will!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #4

Oddly enough, these are the exact comments I was expecting, but not the ones I was hoping for. The TCP has a few extra features that I really liked, and my wife did prefer the feel of it. But I can tell you right now that I won't trust her life to a gun with a spotty reputation. Looks like the Ruger will probably be the way to go.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Have you considered the new Body Guard line from Smith & Wesson? I have shot the LCP. I liked it. Have not shot the Taurus. I have had several bad Taurus guns. Won't buy another one. I really want a 45LC/410 pistol. But I am waiting to find something other than a Judge.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

I actually did consider the S&W Bodyguard line, but I shied away from it for two reasons: The first is cost, I really wanted something in the 350 or lower range, and the second is lack of availability. None of my LGS' have the Bodyguard, so my wife can't hold it.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by king1138 View Post
I actually did consider the S&W Bodyguard line, but I shied away from it for two reasons: The first is cost, I really wanted something in the 350 or lower range, and the second is lack of availability. None of my LGS' have the Bodyguard, so my wife can't hold it.
Ruger LCR Double-Action Revolver .38 Special, Hogue Tamer $379.99

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #8

Thanks for all the comments, looks like we're giving the nod to the Ruger!