Ruger LCP .380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger LCP .380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger LCP .380

Just purchased ruger lcp today and was wondering if it would be safe to keep one in the chamber and to get some reviews or opinions on it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The lcp is perfectly safe to carry one in the chamber and IMO it is the norm for all carry guns of mine. Of course follow all gun safety rules. I love my lcp its the kind of gun that no matter what else im carrying the lcp is always there to back it up. Never leave home without it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Its designed to be carried with one in the chamber. Mine always has a full mag with one in the pipe. I pocket carry it. Great little handgun surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot .

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

With a holster of some sort to cover the trigger - and the trigger pull being very long - it is very safe.

For self defense, you have to decide if you want to have to rack the slide after pulling your gun in an emergency. Is that something you think you can do reliably - without error - in an emergency/panic situation. If you do it wrong - or forget - then you have essentially an unloaded gun in that emergency situation.

The absolute safest is to not have the gun at all. The next safest is to have it not chambered.

It's for each to decide.

Take it to the range and shoot it. Make friends with it. See how it does not malfunction. See how long and safe the trigger pull is. Read up on the safety mechanisms built into the gun - and decide if you feel it is safe enough. It's a personal decision. Not someone else's decision.

If you feel it is not safe enough, consider another gun. Check the next gun's safety mechanism's when fully loaded. You may even want to go to a revolver. Most modern revolvers have firing pin blocks between the hammer and firing pin making accidental firing nearly impossible without a trigger pull.

This is very reasonable stuff you are asking and considering. Don't let someone push you around and tell you differently -- and try to push you into their thinking.

My own --- I've been carrying the LCP with a round in the chamber for two years now. Always in a holster - mostly back pocket holster. That is my decision. Not necessarily yours.

(I have to confess, in those two years I have accidentally dropped the LCP, in it's holster, without incident. Please don't beat me up too badly, guys ...)

Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Safer to keep one in than not, should you ever need to employ it. Have you racked the slide to chamber a round? Difficult to hold onto due to short and stiff recoil springs and a slender slide with little to get a good grip on.

Those really long DAO trigger types are your safety. It's truly very hard to make one of these guns go off by accident. As pointed out, simply use a holster that covers the trigger guard and you'll be absolutely fine!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2715 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 1531

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Safer to keep one in than not, should you ever need to employ it. Have you racked the slide to chamber a round? Difficult to hold onto due to short and stiff recoil springs and a slender slide with little to get a good grip on.

Those really long DAO trigger types are your safety. It's truly very hard to make one of these guns go off by accident. As pointed out, simply use a holster that covers the trigger guard and you'll be absolutely fine!
Ditto this, plus never, never place finger inside trigger guard or on trigger unless and until you plan to shoot.

Find the appropriate size Blackhawk or DeSantis pocket holster or ankle holster and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclought
Just purchased ruger lcp today and was wondering if it would be safe to keep one in the chamber and to get some reviews or opinions on it
The only guns that aren't safe with a round in the "chamber" are old-style single action revolvers w/o transfer bars. Any modern SD handgun is intended to be carried with a round in the chamber.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7022 Times on 4225 Posts
Likes Given: 8461

You got yourself a nice little gun. Enjoy it.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd
The lcp is perfectly safe to carry one in the chamber and IMO it is the norm for all carry guns of mine. Of course follow all gun safety rules. I love my lcp its the kind of gun that no matter what else im carrying the lcp is always there to back it up. Never leave home without it.
Thanks brother

Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I don't know why a person would ever NOT have a CCW gun chambered!