Ruger LC9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger LC9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger LC9

Hey everyone, I was wondering about other members experience w/this gun.I have had faliures to feed w/standard target rnds such as remington umc 115 gr fmj.I read that small 9mms have problems w/ lighter ammo.I also heard from guys @ my local range that the LC9 has failure to fire w/sd hollowpoint rounds.the main reason for buying the weapon is as accw.no point in firing fmj 9mm rounds for sd I own a S&W 642 as my "always" weapon,I love it,It is always "5 for sure" but I was looking for more power + capacity. any opinions/experence/suggested would be helpful.thanks-be safe and keep up the good fight

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #2

A lot of the really small guns, LC9 included, will FTF when they are limp wristed. My cousin has a Kel-Tec PF9, which is roughly the same size as the LC9, and it is very easy to limp wrist.

Has any one other than you shot the gun, if so, did they have similar issues? If no one else has shot it, next time you go to the range, explain the situation to the range officer and ask them to shoot it and see if they have similar issues.

For me, that's the first step I would take before looking at the ammo.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #3

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Your owners manual should give recommended bullet weights.

Many of sub compact 9mm's do require heaver loads and some of them recommend premium ammo so a malfunction with inexpensive target loads in 115 grain does not surprise me.

Try it with good ammo in heavier loadings. This should correct the problem.

TACK

Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 AM   #4

I shot one today along with three other 9's. While I didn't have any FTE or FTF's, I absolutely hated the trigger pull. Longer than DA in my opinion. Also foung that with that long pull, my hand is too big for this gun.

Only put 5 rnds thru before I cried 'uncle'.

True story.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #5

I have had my LC9 a few weeks now and have only 200-250 rounds through it, but it has been flawless so far. I think it is one of my favorite guns to shoot in spite of the long trigger pull and it has been surprisingly accurate.

I have been putting Federal Premium hardball and Federal Hydra-Shok through it so far.

I have many 1911's, and my favorite pistol to shoot (fun factor) has been a highly modified Colt Officers model. The LC9 has a very similar 'grin factor' for me.

I have also found I prefer to shoot the LC9 with the flat magazine floor plate vs the finger extention.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
I shot one today along with three other 9's. While I didn't have any FTE or FTF's, I absolutely hated the trigger pull. Longer than DA in my opinion. Also foung that with that long pull, my hand is too big for this gun.

Only put 5 rnds thru before I cried 'uncle'.

True story.
I have small hands and I had trouble with the grip on my PF9. I traded it for a P11. Trigger is worse but the grip is better and easier to control. The LC9 feels better than the PF9 but still feels small and awkward.
My P3AT was beating my trigger finger to death. Not a fun gun to shoot. I traded it in on a Sig 238 which is a dream to shoot. Much better trigger, sights and easy to control.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Default LC9 issues

Thanks for all the info.now that I think of it,It maybe a combo of cheap ammo,and I was shooting from a supported bench rest.but w/ the super long trigger pull,and wondering if the the weapon would even fire,might have possibly been limp wristing it.I recently had back surgeory and only have been shooting off a bench.I will try firing offhand w/better ammo.thanks again - Bill

Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Axe the remington umc rounds. I've had nothing but problems shooting those out of all my handguns. The Winchester white box I've had extremely good luck with along with the steel case tulammo you get at Walmart. I've put over 500 through my lc9 and no hiccups at all. Good little gun, just something you don't wanna shoot all day

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #9

Default Mine works FINE

I've owned an LC9 for about 2 months now and I've put about 300 rounds through it and no malfunctions at all!!! Mostly I've used Winchester white box and have shot 124gr Speer Gold Dots and 115gr Hornady Critical Defense through it also. I think 2 things are true about these guns as far as malfunctions go. 1 some seem to need a break in period. I've heard the same of Kahr's and Kel-tec's also. Usually in the range of 200 rounds or so. 2. I think some ppl just get lucky and get that gun where all the parts are matching as far as tolerances go so no break in is needed. After reading tons of reviews on all 3 pistols in the 9mm and 380 offering it seems to be a consistent theme. Just something to think about, don't give up on it, its a great gun and you can mod the trigger if you absolutely hate it. I did and it made a WORLD of difference!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have owned an LC9, S&W Shield and a Beretta Nano. All three small 9mm's are good guns and I have settled on the Beretta for several reasons. I did not keep the LC9 for 2 reasons. As stated before I hated the trigger. Much too heavy and long for me. I also experienced light strikes and failure to fires all too often. I sent the gun back to Ruger and they replaced the firing pin and it seemed to be ok after that. Still I did not lik erthe trigger so I moved on. The S&W Shield was a very good gun and the opnly problem I had with it is that it consistantly shot to the left. It was accurate and had tight groupings but I was always to the left onmy POA. The Berettta is accurate and no issues.

I have spent a lot of money on guns bullets and holsters... The rest I have just squandered...