Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger .22 l.r. Pistols - Mark III vs 22/45 -which model?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 619 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've had both the Buckmark and the 22/45 and sold the Buckmark not too long ago. They shot about the same along the lines of accuracy. Off of a rest, there was really no difference at all.
The 22/45 is a jumbled mess to clean. You have to pull sh*t out, hold this, flip it upside down, push this in, flip it over and listen for a clink, flip it back over, push this into place, beat it against the wife’s cat to set the pin, flip it back upside down, pull the trigger, listen for another clink, flip it back over, and pray that you beat the cat hard enough.
The Buckmark (at least mine anyway) wouldn’t shoot a full clip without jamming. I’ve heard countless positive comments about the Buckmark but I hated it along the lines of reliability. All of my guns get broken down and cleaned after shooting so it wasn’t that. I tried supersonic, subsonic, and match ammo of all kinds. Couldn’t keep it from jamming.
I’ve not heard from anyone having these issues with the Buckmark so maybe I just got a dud spring loaded in mine. I dunno.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
You might know this, but I am going to say it anyway. with ANY rim fire firearm, long gun or handgun, NEVER dry fire. the firing pin will flatten on the base of the chamber and cause miss fires and cost you some cash for a new firing pin.
Not true. When I bought my 10/22, I looked in the manual to show a friend where it said to not dry fire rimfires but I couldn't find it. So I called Ruger and they said yes, you can safely do it and that they recommended it for testing and practice.

Newer firearms should be fine, but always read the manual of course.

That said, I love my MK III but I got the speed strip adapter because that assembly lever is a big bitch. Tons of fun to shoot that gun.

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #13

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage View Post
Not true. When I bought my 10/22, I looked in the manual to show a friend where it said to not dry fire rimfires but I couldn't find it. So I called Ruger and they said yes, you can safely do it and that they recommended it for testing and practice.

Newer firearms should be fine, but always read the manual of course.

That said, I love my MK III but I got the speed strip adapter because that assembly lever is a big bitch. Tons of fun to shoot that gun.
Whoa!!!

Is this true!!?? You can safely dry fire the Mark III 22/45??
I own one and assumed the usual: "No Dry Fire!!"

Don't know how Ruger would keep the firing pin from smashing into the edge of the receiver chamber - and damaging it....

Any thought or inputs on this??

I love the Mark III accuracy.

The teardown? Go to youtube. Lots of pretty quick teardown demonstrations there.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Whoa!!!

Is this true!!?? You can safely dry fire the Mark III 22/45??
I own one and assumed the usual: "No Dry Fire!!"

Don't know how Ruger would keep the firing pin from smashing into the edge of the receiver chamber - and damaging it....
I said my 10/22, disputing the comment that you should never dry fire a rimfire. MKIII should have a pin that prevents the firing pin from hitting the chamber opening and being damaged. As always, check the manual

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #15

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I'm not sure why people comain about the MKIII disassembly other than the mag "safety" it gets easy after a few times.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Bought a 22/45 lite a few months ago. Weighs nothing, threaded barrel for my can, 600 round of CCI subsonic and not one jam,failure or misdeed. Sold my Walter P22 to get it. It was a wise decision