Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger .22 l.r. Pistols - Mark III vs 22/45 -which model?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger .22 l.r. Pistols - Mark III vs 22/45 -which model?

Hi, I recently bought a CZ 452 Lux .22 l.r. rifle and have been thinking of getting a .22 l.r. pistol for the range. I read many threads in the forum and found most recommended .22 are: Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mark III, Ruger 22/45 and S&W 617 revolver. The S&W 617 costs over $700, which is a bit much for .22 l.r.

Anyhow, I'm interested in getting either a Ruger Mark III or 22/45. There're many different models within each line of product. What's the difference between the Mark III and 22/45? Which model from each line would you recommend and why?

Also, what's an Fiber Optic front sight? Some target and hunting models have it. Is it as sturdy as the traditional iron sight?

I like the stainless finish with wood grips. There're "exclusive distributors" model from each line. Not sure if I have to buy from them directly or I can buy thru my local gun shop.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I own a Mark I target model with 5 1/2" bull barrel. It's fiercely accurate and very reliable, not fussy about ammo. That said, I would buy the 22/45 for it's 1911 style controls and grip angle.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #3

The Mark I, II and III's are tried and true FUN and accurate shooters. Rugers design based upon the german luger.

Ruger came out with the 22/45 back in the early to mid 90's (I think) as a training gun for departments who shoot the 1911. Uses the same mag design as the Mark's with a different base plate. Not the most fun to load, but I still love em.

If you look at a 1911 and the 22/45 the grip angles are virtually identical, the mag release and safeties are in the same place. .22lr ammo is way cheaper than .45 PLUS it is a VERY accurate and quick confidence builder for new shooters.

I have one with a 6" barrel and have tuned it up with a Tasco red dot and a volquartzen trigger and turned it into one hell of a bowling pin gun. FUN guns to shoot, customize and teach with. Mine came with a 6" bull barrel and was drilled and tapped for a scope mount.

Makes one HELL of a squirrel gun. knocks those little bastards out right out of a tree. Fun on opossums too.

You might know this, but I am going to say it anyway. with ANY rim fire firearm, long gun or handgun, NEVER dry fire. the firing pin will flatten on the base of the chamber and cause miss fires and cost you some cash for a new firing pin.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Default MK III vs 22/45

Thanks for your inputs. What's a bull barrel?

How about the fiber optic front sight? Is it as sturdy as the iron sight?

MK III comes in many styles while 22/45 has limited choices in models. I didn't see any wood grips with 22/45 models.

What's the optimall length of the barrel on a ruger? Not too long and not too short. I saw it ranges between 4.5" to 6.88".

Thank you.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #5

A bull barrel is just what it suggests, A thicker heavier barrel. designed to dissipate heat better and help with muzzle jump or recoil and faster target re-acquisition.

The 22/45 is an all plastic or polymer grip and trigger housing. the MarkIII's have removable grips. Fiber optic sights are sturdy but since you sense a potential issue, there is one. Sure they can be more fragile than iron sights. All of the ruger's are going to give you great results as far as accuracy. I liked the 6" bull barrel. the 4" standard barrel is lighter and although the recoil is not much, it will be much more pronounced in the standard 4" compared to the 6" standard and even more so than the 6" bull barrel.

Go to Ruger's website they show the difference between the barrels very well.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #6

Go for the Browning Buckmark or Beretta Neos instead !
The damn MK-III is a bitch to take apart ! I just returned mine because it was so stiff. I had them before but this particular gun was really a hassle. It took me 2 hours to field strip, clean and reassemble. I had a hell of a time putting it back together ! I eventually did and was well aware of how to do it, but it was just a stubborn gun. The Buckmark is easy and the Neos is a joke to strip down ! I just didn't want to go through that every time I shot the pistol and had to clean it !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Last edited by FreedomFighter69; 10-30-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

They do get easier to clean once you learn the process. The Neos is one hell of a platform and VERY customizable, but with Beretta stuff almost exclusively.

Much better aftermarket and affordable stuff for the rugers, just a fact. Like most of beretta's stuff it is VERY well designed and made, only problem is that they are a bit TOO proud of it.

The browning is also a great platform and been around about as long as the rugers. Big following. and a few good choices for aftermarket stuff.

I love the Neos, saw it in Accokeek when it was unveiled. Great platform, just too expensive and too exclusive.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 443

If you run accross a Sig Trailside (discontinued) grab it.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #9

I have the MK 3 stainless 5.5 bull target.It is very accurate.and a pleasure to shoot.Yes cleaning is tricky the first couple times but seemed to loosen up after a couple of cleanings.I love it.
Had an old original standard in late 70's or early 80's wish I had kept it also.
JSmith

Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4513 Times on 2373 Posts
Likes Given: 258

i have a mk2 target model yes its a bit tricky to reassemble the first few times but actual cleaning is a snap. following the manual step by step makes reassembly easy. after a few goes its not a problem. the ruger MKx series is pretty much the gold standard of 22 pistols. my pref is the mk1-3 over the 22/45. the 22/45 has a grip angle similar to the 1911 but it just doesnt feel right to me.