Ruger 22/45 Mk III range report
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ruger 22/45 Mk III range report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger 22/45 Mk III range report

I just got back from the range actually the gun shoots real nice.....but I experienced a lot of jams (casings didn't eject, got jammed halfway out) but this is probably because being anxious to get out and shoot it I did not clean and lube it good before doing so, or maybe the ammo was the fault (Winchester) but my guess is the gun was in need of lube and clean job. I am otherwise happy with it and will indeed give it a good cleaning and report back next time. My next purchase is a Walther sometime soon (love those 22's so much cheaper to shoot). I would appreciate any feedback about the jams and see what the general consensus is on why it happened, thanks everyone appreciate the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #2

I ran into an issue with jams with my Walther P22 and determined that it was the Winchester ammo. I switched to CCI and have had no problems. As an experiment the other day I used the Winchester (still have 200 rounds left) and ran into the same problem. I will not be running this thru the Walthers once my current supply is exhausted.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a 22/45, and I had some jams with the first 100 or so rounds, after that it started working flawlessly.

I don't know whether this is normal with these pistols, but I mine has run smoothly after I got a few hundred rounds through it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #4

Default Jams

OK after some further thinking I think it may be because it is still tight (action) and not reacting fast enough. I tried rapid firing 10 straight w/o a problem. l'll post another report next time after a good cleaning and a different box of ammo. Otherwise I'm still happy with my purchase. Thanks for the replies so far please feel free to add additional comments / analogies.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #5

Hi Jeeper. I have the same gun, and you do need to make sure the gun is clean and lubed. Ive got around 6-700 rounds through mine and I do still have some problems with the spend casing getting hung up and also failure to feeds with certain ammo.

It seems like jacketed ammo works better, but this could just be because the jacketed ammo I have bought is higher quality. Id stay away from any winchester bulk ammo, and would reccomend the federal bulk ammo. Also, if you don't mind paying the extra, cci mini mags work flawlessly, but will run you 30-35 per 500.

Definately break the gun down and give it a good cleaning and lubing and it should work much better.

Also, disassembly/reassembly can be somewhat frustrating, just make sure you follow the instructions exactly as they are written in the ruger manual and you will be fine. As long as you follow the manual the first few times you clean it, you will get the hang of it in no time.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would shoot it some more. You got to work things in and that. It is like getting out of bed in the morning your a little stiff to begin with but once you get moving and going you losen up a little.