Ruger 22/45 going back for service
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Ruger 22/45 going back for service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 594 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Ruger 22/45 going back for service

Well, I clean and lubed, checked everything I could but she still jams. I was able to get two mags through but then by the 3rd mag, it double feeds. Well, what it does is fails to eject the spent cartridge and as it tries to feed the fresh one, pushes the spent cartridge up against the ejector. Definitely not the right direction and it jams in there pretty good. Sigh.

I wanted to like the gun but this is not quality control. The mags sucked out of the box, It has this issue. Lets see if I have to jump through hoops to get it fixed.

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Hmmm...maybe I found a fix

It appears many people have this problem with the MKIII - Caused by the metal plate of the loaded chamber indicator. Remove that and problem goes away...I will give it a whirl...

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" Mark Twain

Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #3

Liked 2514 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

I have a Mk II, so can't relate to the loaded chamber indicator.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

JonM is pretty knowledgeable on those Ruger pistols. maybe he will chime in here and give you some feedback as to what the issues might be.

the only issues i have had with mine were ammo related as to failing to fire with some of the bulk Winchester ammo. but they didn't fire in my rifle either when i tried them.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4694 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 2367

You did check that the two-pronged guide rod is correctly seated in the bolt assembly, and the recoil spring slides freely.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Mercator...yup...

Been over it from top to bottom. It definitely seemed like the ejector was not working. So I just stripped the gun (again), did the easy removal...cleaned and lubed again (since it was apart) and out to the range tomorrow to see if she is fixed. WHEN she fires, she's pretty sweet. When she doesn't, it take all the joy out

Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3543 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

I have a PPK/s that does the same thing with standard velocity ammo.

When I feed the sucker HV, I hove no problems until it gets too dirty from shooting.

The owner's manual suggests HV for mine. After I started having problems, I found that in my manual.

Try some HV before sending it back.

There is also some supposed HV that does not work. CCI seems to be best for mine.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 08-24-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

My mark 3 went back for the same problems when new a few years back. Chamber indicator on or off had no affect. Can't tell what the rugger cs did to it but came back running like a you hope one should. Did not matter the ammo used . Now a few thousand rounds down range and all is hundred percent. Not really worthy of worry'n about. Ruger will get you a shipping label and have it fixed in back in short order.