rugar mark 3 problems

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > rugar mark 3 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rugar mark 3 problems

So i had a stuck sear with my rugar mark 3 and decided to take out the pin that holds the hammer assembly in place so i could remove the main spring. Now the problem is that I cant get the gun to cock or go on safety, any advise before i drop it off to the gun smith?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Call Ruger. If the trigger was pulled at the wrong time or didn't reset properly, there is a sequence they can talk you through to straighten it out. Have something handy that you can smack the muzzle down on without hurting it (e.g., a phone book or a mouse pad).

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's pretty easy to assemble a mk3 once you know how to do it. You don't have to remove the hammer to remove the mainspring. The mainspring housing is the 1st thing that comes out when field stripping. Where are you located? If you're close to me or another member that's familiar with mk3s I'd be happy to reassemble it for you, as I'm sure they would as well. It's a process that's almost impossible for me to describe without access to a camera offhand, but easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfgod247 View Post
So i had a stuck sear with my rugar mark 3 and decided to take out the pin that holds the hammer assembly in place so i could remove the main spring. Now the problem is that I cant get the gun to cock or go on safety, any advise before i drop it off to the gun smith?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you talking about the "bolt stop pin," maybe? It's attached to the mainspring on a hinge, and protrudes upward through the receiver and bolt when the gun is assembled. If this is the case, it should be fairly easy to reassemble correctly. Bear, myself, or any other Ruger owner can probably help you with that. The actual hammer assembly is a trickier matter.

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 01-12-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

ok guys thanks for the information that you posted. I figured out that the spring that's on the sear was not in its correct position, therefore no tension was put on the sear itself. I'm posting a link to a site that go's well beyond the field stripping of the gun so anyone that might have a problem can reference that as well.

It was the hammer assembly not the bolt stop pin.

Hammer Assem.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It's pretty easy to assemble a mk3 once you know how to do it. You don't have to remove the hammer to remove the mainspring. The mainspring housing is the 1st thing that comes out when field stripping. Where are you located? If you're close to me or another member that's familiar with mk3s I'd be happy to reassemble it for you, as I'm sure they would as well. It's a process that's almost impossible for me to describe without access to a camera offhand, but easy to do.
I know but the sear would not disengage, I dont think that the main spring would of came out if you couldn't decock the gun.