Rimfire vs. center fire
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Rimfire vs. center fire

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8545 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 11158

Default Rimfire vs. center fire

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either? What would prompt you to chose one over the other? Thanks for any help or enlightenment offered to me here.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6668 Times on 3548 Posts
Likes Given: 502

for what purpose?? just plinking 22lr is cheap so are the guns. for hunting centerfire. for self defense centerfire. for training 22lr is cheap especially when you got conversion kits for most centerfire. it just depends on the role. a .22lr makes a superb survival round.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

It all depends on what you are wanting to do. If you just want a pistol to practice and plink with. Get a rimfire Browning Buckmark or Ruger MkII or MkIII.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
for what purpose?? just plinking 22lr is cheap so are the guns. for hunting centerfire. for self defense centerfire. for training 22lr is cheap especially when you got conversion kits for most centerfire. it just depends on the role. a .22lr makes a superb survival round.
What does .22lr stand for? Am I right in guessing "lr" is rimfire? What makes one better for self defense over the other? Personally, I didn't think a .22 made for good self defense at all. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with one but I didn't think it had much "stopping power". I was told a .357 magnum would definitely stop someone, anything smaller would stop someone but not as quickly, giving the attacker a few minutes to do some damage before he dies. Am I totally mistaken? I only know what I've been told.

But getting back to the rimfire vs. center fire. I guess I was kind of wanting to know what is the difference in each and what purpose are they best suited for. Let's say I wanted to get a .22 pistol just for some cheap fun at the range. Rim fire, then? What makes a center fire better for self defense vs. the rimfire? More power?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

The term "rimfire" is generally considered synonymous with .22LR (the LR stands for long rifle, which is today's standard). In olden days there were many calibers of rimfire cartridges - not so today. Basically .22 handguns are good for serious target shooting & plinking. As a defensive round - nope.

Rimfire uses a compound located in the inside of the cartridge rim to start the explosive process.

Centerfire means any cartridge that uses a primer in the center of the base of the cartridge to start the process.

Last edited by NGIB; 09-12-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

HANDGUN AMMUNITION: SELF DEFENSE

AMMUNITION FOR THE SELF-DEFENSE FIREARM

GIYF

Friendly neighborhood public library: Dewey Decimal System, Sections 623.4 and 683.4

Last edited by GNLaFrance; 09-12-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Let me google that for you

.22lr for fun and target shooting

9mm, .357, .40, .45 or a dozen other centerfire rounds for self defense.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You should take a hunter safety or gun safety course. They will tell you all about different cartridges, actions and firing mechanisms. There are very few rimfire calibers produced today and none of them are serious self-defense handgun cartridges.
No offense, but anyone asking the questions you're asking needs education before buying a firearm.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
You should take a hunter safety or gun safety course. They will tell you all about different cartridges, actions and firing mechanisms. There are very few rimfire calibers produced today and none of them are serious self-defense handgun cartridges.
No offense, but anyone asking the questions you're asking needs education before buying a firearm.
Well, I admit I don't know much about ammunition but I do own a gun. I know the basics of safety and I know about the gun I own. I will definitely look unto a gun safety course, though. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

1. winds-of-change has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

You have to empty some of the junk out of your mail box. Cannot transmit any further private messages. Joe

Closed Thread