Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the RIA an official go??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Mine had nothing but fail to feed problems for the first 100 rounds. We are talking at least once sometimes three per mag. I promised I was going to sell it after the first 30 rounds but I ended up sticking with it. 3500 rounds later I have yet to have a single problem with it. They do need between 100 to 200 rounds to break in but once they do they perform very well. They can be hit or miss but if you get a good one they are fantastic guns, especially for the price. YMMV.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23 View Post
I know i know, there has already been a thread about this but still.....is this gun worth buying? I see a lot of pleased people but then i hear of issues as well. i thought about adding this to the collection as my first 1911. I wouldnt carry it on doubts about realibilty but now im really doubtful. I wanted to have for just HD but now not so sure. Is it just mag issues, ammo issues, break-in issues or what??
Any gun purchased with SD/HD in mind will need a thorough vetting to ensure reliability. It doesn't matter whether it's a $3000 Wilson, or a $350 Rock Island.
Rock Island seems to be punching above it's weight as far as reliability is concerned. Just don't be shocked and disappointed that a budget gun might have issues. You can spend a lot more and still have problems. Look at all the "My Kimber is/is not doing..." threads that seem to be popping up recently. I say you need to worry less about the brand and more about the behavior of your particular example. Whatever brand of pistol you buy will need to be shot and tested extensively before being depended on in a life or death situation.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #13

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
Mine had nothing but fail to feed problems for the first 100 rounds. We are talking at least once sometimes three per mag. I promised I was going to sell it after the first 30 rounds but I ended up sticking with it. 3500 rounds later I have yet to have a single problem with it. They do need between 100 to 200 rounds to break in but once they do they perform very well.
Quote:
They can be hit or miss but if you get a good one they are fantastic
guns, especially for the price. YMMV.
Kind of like a woman

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #14

Whats to tear up ? You can easily change every part on it. I have one I keep on my tractor when I'm in the fields and it has seen rain several times and all kinds of abuse but still shoots everytime. I've probably cycled 2 or 3 hundred rounds through it... ( no problem). These guns are made by monkeys, so don't expect a good resale value.
I shoot Colts in competition...Monkey guns are just to shot cans

Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #15

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Armscor does send cheapo mags with their guns,its an easy fix though. My High Standard 1911A1 loves the Wilson Elite Tactical mags.RIA and HS 1911s are cheaper made than others but they are not junk or throw around guns

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 11-20-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #16

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I have one that I bought about a month ago. I have put 500 rounds through it and only had one or two FTF's, and that was with cheap Tulammo. The 200 rounds of cheap brass fed just fine. For under $500 I think it is a hell of a deal.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I bought an armscor probably 7-8yrs ago and not a problem. Mine came with great mags(name brand I can't recall at the moment) and great fit and finish. Polished the feed ramp and have never had a malfunction. My buddy has a SA and I've seen his jam ftf so i'm happy.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19984 Times on 11361 Posts
Likes Given: 50407

sometimes the budget 1911 makers will build a decent pistol, then cheap out when they supply the magazines. a lot of feed problems will usually be the mags or the ammo. i had a SA 1911 Defender years ago that truly hated the CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo, and would stovepipe at least one per mag when shooting. would also have a problem chambering cast lead bullets. so a change in ammo selection, problem disappeared.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #19

Liked 1119 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchew View Post
Whats to tear up ? You can easily change every part on it. I have one I keep on my tractor when I'm in the fields and it has seen rain several times and all kinds of abuse but still shoots everytime. I've probably cycled 2 or 3 hundred rounds through it... ( no problem). These guns are made by monkeys, so don't expect a good resale value.
Monkeys?

In response to the OP; I do not understand your logic, that a pistol that would be too unreliable for carry, would be ok for home defence.

Of the several people I know that own and shoot RIA 1911s, they all love them. One of my friends owns over a dozen different 1911s and he carries a Rock Island. I have shot my friends carry Rock Island, and it shoots just as good as my Springfield. If I needed another 1911, I would buy a RIA.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchew
Monkeys? Sorry but I just can't let such a dumb remark pass. The Phillipines has a long record of support of th US and many Filipinos have served with distinction in the US armed services. They were among the first to step forward to supply troops to support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Phillipines has has a record of quality production and reliability. A lesser price does not always equate to an inferior product. RIA and Metro Arms (American Classic) make excellent 1911s and I think you will find many who own them in addition to their very high priced alternatives actually like them better. Perhaps the finish is not as good, but they will beat many in reliability and accuracy. Based on my research and friends advice, my next 1911 will be an RIA. I currently own an American Classic II and it has been flawless.